1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

travel calls

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Superfluous_Nut, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

it's weird as shit when the refs blow the whistle on travels after a guy pump fakes at the 3 point line, then drives the ball. i swear half the time it's not a travel. considering how often guys get away with travelling on those plays, it's odd that they'd get so many false positives. it's almost like they're guessing.

2. canesin4

canesin4 Full Access Member

I have noticed this also.

3. Superfluous_Nut

for such a clear cut rule, i don't know how they get so many bad calls on it. i get the whole taking extra steps with the gather shit is a bit vague as there's kind of a judgment call on when the player has gathered and the mystery 0 step. but this rule is simple -- if you lift your pivot foot before you release the ball, you can't be the first person to touch it again. it's like jumping for a shot and then deciding you want to dribble instead. it happens a lot when guys make their first move after a fake. and they're usually pretty easy to call on tv. so refs not calling them in person is pretty bad. and then when they call them on non-travels... like... wtf?

4. Superfluous_Nut

i'm kinda confused by why they let guys set moving picks all the time. not the kind where a guy gets there late, but the kind where a screener is still then moves and pushes the defender out of the play once the defender has made contact. i would think if the screener's feet are moving when they're screening, it should be an easy call. or when they push the defender -- if the screener extends their arms during the screen or when they execute a roll, it should be a whistle. i guess the nba likes 3pt shooting more than defense.

5. Superfluous_Nut

this is an obvious travel. how is it not called? they let these go all the time and then randomly call guys when they pump fake then dribble because they think maybe they travelled when in fact they didn't and you can clearly see they didn't.

you simply cannot lift your pivot foot until the ball is out of your hands. the way he starts his dribble, his pivot foot is fully extended behind him -- there's no way he can push off from it to go in the direction he starts his dribble in. this is an obvious situation where the ref has to know it was a travel based purely on physics even if he's not sure based on watching it.

in this case, he doesn't release the ball until his left foot (his pivot foot) is past his plant foot (his right foot)....

upload_2021-3-11_0-10-1.png

(turns out youtube vids can be stepped by frame using , and . when paused -- who knew?)

i hate when this shit doesn't get called but really the icing on the cake is when the nba puts up highlights like this when it's a clear violation of the rules.