1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sata Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by PantherPaul, Apr 14, 2009.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

It's been a while since I asked a question but I'm stumped on a computer issue.

My motherboard (Abit) is around 3 years old. I need a new hard drive as my C drive is 200gig. I also have a 250 gig internal hard drive (D:) The C: drive is around 3 years old as well but is too small for all the stuff I have on it. Both drives are IDE drives. I went out and bought a WD SATA 1TB hard drive. I plugged in the drive, power as well and booted up the PC. Software with the drive said I would be prompted to partition the drive if need be and also be able to copy existing drive (previously C:) to the new drive. This would then change drive letters down accordingly. Problem is after installing new drive, it gives me the 1 beep all is good sound but gets hung up without booting up completely. Look back at the instructions and it says I need to make a jumper change as some older motherboards can't go at 3GBbit drive speed. OK make the change so it only goes at 1.5. Still gets hung up. Ok maybe the BIOS doesn't have the SATA connections enabled so it won't recognize it. Frustrated as I have a wireless mouse keyboard combo that as I am booting up, the keyboard/mouse combo arn't up to speed quick enough to allow me to hit DEL button and enter BIOS. I unplug both of them and plug a wired USB keyboard in and reboot thinking I can then hit DEL and get in BIOS. 4 fucking times I try this and I still can not get into the BIOS.

Any idea what I can do to get into the BIOS and see if the SATA is enabled, and if I can get in and enable the SATA will the motherboard be able to see the whole TB hard drive or god forbid I have to flash the bios with a newer version so it'll recognize the hard drive?

Ideas?

2. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

what abit board do you have? mine has always been a bit sketchy about starting up and i run off of sata's.

you probably need to plug in a ps2 style keyboard. on my old cpu i have a usb keyboard and it isn't initialized before the boot up passes the stage where i can hit delete. it's pretty stupid. might be the same issue you have. probably not hard to find a ps2 keyboard for only a few bucks someplace.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I had to flash my Bios with a new version. This new version allowed a larger hard drive (SATA) to be recognized. I went the PS2 keyboard and enabled the SATA but had to get the latest BIOS