1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Off to mini camp...

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jun 18, 2002.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

If anything neato happens I'll fill ya'll in.

2. BigMark

BigMark Guest

swell.

3. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

If I were to say which rookies stood out......

Foster - fast, great cuts, and can catch good. Is very obviously better than all the others.

Wesley - Looked damn good. Covered up receivers, batted one away from Bright. Seemed to smother his man.

Bright - Seemed to get alot of balls thrown his way and caught all of them. I know he's little, and is a long shot, but he's wearing #81 and is looking better than any of the other rookie receivers. Hard to say if he's following his routes - but he gets open and catches balls. Made one spectacular catch on a crossing route.

I've been big on Bright, and I came to this camp looking to not pay attention to him, and pay more attention to the other rookies. Bright stole the show. Tolhurst caught one ball, and he looks to have solid moves, but he only got one. I saw Bright catch 4 - and I got there late. Bright was also returning kickoffs.

But yeah, 6'1 and 170lbs. That's a longshot.

In other news, Gilbert and Mitchell got into a knock-down, drag out. Both emerged with their helmets removed, and they were unhappy.

4. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

There have been plenty of smallish receivers in the NFL. Just takes a coach with an open mind and a receiver with a bunch of effort.

5. Piper

Piper Guest

Well, as it stands, at least one undrafted FA will make the squad as a reciever. Nothing could be better than to snag a J-Smooth (Jimmy Smith) out of the deal.

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Receiver is a serious depth issue right now, with Byrd and Jeffers out. Behind them, it's Smith -*who looks very good - he caught a very tough ball today that I didn't mention before* and Hankton.

If Byrd and Jeffers get healthy, we are Dyn-o-mite.

If not - hmmmmm.

I'm getting unreasonably excited about this.

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Speaking of Foster:

9:17 PT: The Charlotte Observer reports the Carolina Panthers view rookie RB DeShaun Foster as their tailback of the future. However, because he's getting a late start this year due to missing workout time, Foster has some catching up to do. He's likely to open the year as the backup to Lamar Smith unless he has a spectacular start for the team. On the contract side of things, negotiations on a deal for Foster likely won't get serious until mid-July.

8. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I guess these guys have some pretty good credit but untill July or whenever a player signs a contract, what do they do for $$?

9. I think their agents will float them $ - plus, most banks would probably give you some bucks - if you had a job like that, and could prove what level you'd be compensated.

10. Big Russ

Big Russ Guest

I'm sure they're taken care of. Especially those of Pepper's and Foster's calibre. Hell, Pep was a driving a damn nice Yukon XL before he left the Hill.