1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Man this is fucked up (Olympics)

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by The Brain, Feb 17, 2002.

1. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/special_packages/olympics/2687756.htm

If you can get into Charlotte.com its te story of the American skater that didn't get his medal cause some punk ass pushed him down... he was kicking ass I saw the footage while watching the hockey game... that guy should not be just DQed for that event but the whole damn Olmypics for "Unsportsmen Like Conduct" they need to send his ass back to his country in shame...

2. reb

reb 1riot1reb

hey man like they say in NASCAR " that's racin' ".I think the Aussie was pretty cool about it. I saw him on the tube this morning. The American dude was cool about it too. That's the way it should be.
    I for one would have thought less of the Olympics if they had had a redo.

Hey if a skier falls they don't give him a mulligan.

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I know but this guy was pushed... I would have understood had their skates gotten locked up but he got pushed... see the thing is this kid had a chance to win 4 gold medals and due to his injury he may win NONE

4. reb

reb 1riot1reb

It's those fucking "evil axis" Koreans done it.

5. WYDD

WYDD Guest

i thought the american dude won the silver. Looked like he got up and put his blade over the line.

6. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Case of rotten luck, hope he can compete later. On the bright side, Joey Cheek form Greensboro won bronze medal yesterday in the 1000 meter speedskating.

Cheek Speeds To Bronze
    By TODD GRAFF, Staff Writer, Greensboro News & Record

When Joey Cheek left Greensboro six years ago, armed with a pair of skates and a dream, he hardly registered on the speedskating landscape. He was just another kid trying to convert from in-line to the ice.
    On Saturday afternoon, though, Cheek swirled at the center of the speedskating world, capturing the bronze medal in the 1,000 meters at the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Cheek did it just the way he dreamed, just the way so many others have dreamed -- by skating faster than he ever has, by skating faster than any American ever has.

"I'm still a little dumbfounded," said Cheek, who became the first Greensboro athlete to win an Olympic medal. Jamestown's Siri Mullinix grabbed a silver medal while serving as the backup goalie for the U.S. women's soccer team in the 2000 Summer Olympics.

"I can't believe I just won a medal at the Olympics," Cheek said. "I gave it my best shot when I was out there. I kept telling myself, 'Don't give up. Don't quit.'"

The 22-year-old former Dudley student earned the Americans' fourth speedskating medal of this Olympics, finishing in 1:07.61 -- breaking Kip Carpenter's American record and shaving nearly four-tenths of a second off his personal best.

Gerard Van Velde of the Netherlands took the gold medal after breaking the world record in 1:07.18. Jan Bos -- also from the Netherlands -- took the silver in 1:07.53. Carpenter, who took the bronze in the 500 meters, finished fourth.

"It's been the mission all year to medal in the Olympics, although there were times when I thought there was no way it was going to happen," Cheek said. "But you've got to keep fighting and believing in yourself."

There were a few of those moments in Kearns, Utah, on Saturday.

On a world-record pace through 600 meters, Cheek slowed to finish third and had to watch two groups race behind him. Those groups included two of the race favorites, Canadians Jeremy Wotherspoon and Mike Ireland.

"I thought those guys were going to smoke it," Cheek said. "Those guys were skating great all year long. I was thinking, 'Wow, fifth place in the Olympics, not too bad.'"

But Wotherspoon and Ireland both slipped on the ice and closed 13th and 14th, respectively.

The same thing happened to Casey FitzRandolph, the 500-meter gold medalist and American favorite. He was ahead of world-record pace at 600 meters but touched his hand to the ice coming out of the fourth turn and finished seventh.

"Since December at the U.S. Championships, I haven't had a solid 1,000," Cheek said. "I went to Europe and skated all right, but I was just blowing up at the end. At the World Championships, I had my worst 1,000 of the year, and two weeks ago I was thinking, 'I don't know If I'm going to have it coming in here.'"

About two dozen friends and family packed into the Utah Olympic Oval to watch Cheek race Saturday, including his mother, Chris Cheek, and brother, Michael Cheek.

"I'm kind of numb this minute," Chris Cheek said. "Michael doesn't have an eardrum because I've been screaming so loud. I cannot believe this."

The medal performance caps quite a ride for Cheek, who started on roller skates in Greensboro. There were those who said he couldn't make the switch from in-line to ice. Others said he had no chance to make the Olympic team.

Even when he broke the American records in the 500 meters and 1,000 meters at December's Olympic trials, some dismissed the feat because FitzRandolph missed the event. Few thought he had a chance for a medal.

"I think it's phenomenal," said Ken Edwards, who coached Cheek before he switched from in-line to ice. "I always knew he could do this. I just sat behind the computer screen and cried. It's unbelievable."

It's already been a successful Olympics for Cheek, who finished just .13 out of a medal in the 500 meters Tuesday. He races for a final time Tuesday afternoon in the 1,500 meters.

They'll all know who he is by then.