1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Zone blocking

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by The Cat, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

The run game has improved I think. When Delhomme went down though it killed any progress we had made. We have been behind a lot this year and we have been facing a lot of 8 man fronts.

2. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

They don't even use zone blocking but about half the time, if that. It's usually easy to tell when they're doing it because the O-linemen go sideways at the snap, except for the tackle/and/or the TE on that back side of the play, who is the one who is supposed to cut the DE to keep him from pursuing. Most of what they're doing, is the same thing they were doing last year, but the running game has improved. The problem is that you need to complete a few passes downfield if you want to keep running well the whole game...not to mention that we've been behind in some of these games, and have had to abandon the running game in the 3rd quarter. The fact that we're 12th in the league, is pretty good.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    OK looking it up, our power rank on footballoutsiders is 3rd - that is, when you need two yards or less, and you run, you go get it. We're very good there overall, getting those couple of yards when it's absolutely necessary.

Our stuffed rate is 27%. That's 25th best. For reference, the Colts are #1 at 13%, the worst is ATL at 32%, and average is 23%. So, we're inconsistent.

we're 5.4 ypc off left end (inflated because of the DW run for 60+), 2.9 off left tackle, 3.9 center/mid, 4.7/right tackle, 4.6 off right end.

15th in raw carries:
    we've run 12% off left end, 12 LT, 48 mid/ctr, 17% RT, 10% RE.

4. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

Interesting stats.

I guess if you combine those with what I had from the NFL site and the stats that Meat provided, one could deduct that we seem to be doing well enough till we get around the end zone.

It's a little odd that we are 22nd in 1st down percentage in rushing offense but 3rd when we need two yards or less. I'm not sure what to make of that, but maybe Foster has made a lot of progress being a short yardage back.

I'd probably just chock the 1st down percentage and stuffs to the predictability of the play calling.....those sneaky draw plays on third and long.

For some reason, that www.footballoutsiders.com link throws up on me.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

well, the power stat suggests we're solid in goal. But that's not usually where we'd be running zone. I couldn't really speak to what percentage we use it, but that's where a lot of zone-heavy teams can have problems.

Predictability may be an issue, but a lot of times it's been missed blocks, far as I've seen, partially miscommunication, partially just blowing a gap. V/s zone, a stunt or slant can be fairly effective in the right place. It can also be defensively disastrous, of course. You vacate your hole and you have two open blockers while your dumb ass goes willingly out of the play.

As for the 3rd down draws, they usually gain something so I don't think that's part of the stuff problem. Just never enough gain, and while they aren't necessarily designed to do so, we still do it a little much. I can't speak to whether that's on Fox, and certainly he has the latitude to make those calls, but I couldn't say if that's something to blame on him. I didn't blame him for it for Henning, and won't now.

I do wonder what level of input McCoy has now. Davidson's the OC, but that "passing game coordinator" title does suggest some responsibility. Whether that adds any playcalling input or not I don't know, and I feel like Davidson's the one who's responsible for the offense as a whole, but it's a curious situation and the run game is the one excelling more.

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Beyond blocking, I miss the days of Davis running low and falling forward.

Even when Foster runs with power, he seems to run backwards almost. He twists instead of running low, falling forward.

7. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

Davis could fall inbetween tacklers.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

he was a special back, certainly. Foster runs well taking the hit and going, driving for another yard or two, but he doesn't really lower the shoulder in the hole. Granted, again, Davis was special, and no back is just going to bull past a line all the time.

One thing people have struggled with, since 2003, was that Davis was great because he was a big back. The reason he excelled was vision, cutting quick to the hole, and then the weight could come into play. The old Davis, not the 2005 one, really had a burst to the hole, and a burst out of the hole, that was awesome to watch.

Wish we hadn't used him up with so much running in 03, but he wasn't going to be playing now anyway, and we knew that coming in.

9. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

Bottom line...if we don't find a QB that can consistently complete passes down the field, the running game will get worse and worse because everybody is just gonna put 8-9 guys in the box and dare us to throw the ball...it all works together. This is why I don't want Carr to start another game...I have no confidence in his ability to do that. At least Vinny can do it every once in a while, and he don't run into sacks in the meantime.