1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ZONA'S right tackle available

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by TOTALPACKAGE, Sep 15, 2004.

1. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

you guys are dreaming. hurney ain't gonna abandon the plan. patience boys ... in a year or two we will have a good young OL.

so, you mite do as i plan and play golf on sunday afternoons this fall

2. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I lost whatever illusions I may have had about us having a stud OL this year sometime this spring, but we at least need to have something better than the suck level or we'll be seeing Peete in there before long and Weinke soon after.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Not a good fit whatsoever. And definitely not worth a 3.

4. blackcatfan

blackcatfan Full Access Member

What makes you think that he's help now? Everybody talked about how the O-line needed time to "gel". They now have started the GB game and the Pitt. game together. Actual time under fire in the Pitt game was pretty low. I agree that something (on the right side occupying the tackle position) has to change but the primary look should be at the guys who have been practicing, maybe even playing in the other preseason games with the other starters. There is no need to panic and trade a pick for a cap hit. We already took one of those with Meadows.

5. Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot The Voice of Reason

Trade seems unlikely given the cap status, his cap value ($2.4 million in base salary) and the fact that we've only played one game. I expect there will be some retooling and some time taken for chemistry to develop before any more drastic steps are taken.

That said, given that he is a free agent after this year (unless his situation changes) and that Jake would have some level of familiarity with him, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was brought in for a free agent visit come offseason.

6. blackcatfan

blackcatfan Full Access Member

Didn't the Moose restructure give us plenty of room should we decide to go this route? Of course, cutting something we have could accelerate a signing bonus and eat up any room we might have.

7. HeadCase

"Willig's a quality player"

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Mitchell didn't look like a quality player this week. Did Willig beat Tuten and a number of others, or did he not? I still find him better than our guards.

I dunno. Maybe I'm more concerned with our line than told-you-sos and making other plans for Sunday.

9. HeadCase

You’ve given me a lot of shit over that ;)

in any case, before making my way to the acid vat with the tape, i finally summoned up the courage to look back at the first half. Nothing new but my quick impressions of that half:

- jake and/or the receivers were not recognizing and taking advantage of the blitz. it looked to me that both were at fault ... moreso the receivers and particularly proehl. i'm concerned that losing smitty will make this even more of a problem, as i don't think our other receivers are quick enough. I would like to see Baker worked into the game going forward.

- playcalling didn't seem bad in first half. Think smitty coulda run a mile on the trick play. Usually that type of play is called an option and for a reason.

- both guards were getting blown up a lot and are worthless pulling. willig wasn't far behind. mitch and gross looked good.

- hoover played great. goings and magnum with nice catches and runs. magnum was at fault on the gross hold ... GB got away with similar holds alot

- gaines played really well and looks to be a huge steal. seidman continues to unimpress.

- foster did not fumble and was protecting the shit outa the ball

- did Moose break off a route again?

- DL did not play as bad as i thought. Buckner played well. LBs weren't getting to the carrier and when they did, Green is a great back and ran rite thru them, which was shocking and concerns me. GB OL got to our LBs and seemed to have a great scheme against our quickness. Safeties weren't supporting quick ... i'm sure scared of play action and Farve.

- Gamble needs to learn to tackle ... soon.

- Branch played very soft, made a couple of poor decisions and didn't support the run

- Manning played well

- GB's OL looked damn good ... but got away with a lot of shit

- GB ran some great looking plays

- ref, it's hard to get the close ball to you receiver when you go to throw and someone is trying to pull ya down. there was enough effort to give the BOD

- based on that half alone, I see reason for hope and that with better decision making & coaching we coulda won and can win going forward … but will be tuff if we can’t improve:

1) our guard play
    2) recognition of blitzes,
    3) improved tackling by our LBs and Gamble,
    4) more aggressive play by Branch,
    5) Baker and/or Colbert are able to step it up, and
    6) better game plans.

I have faith that all will be corrected by this weekend.

- Rice the new NFL commish?
    - muck: to clear of manure (sounds like a fun job)

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

>>Did Moose break off a route again?

Yes. That's undeniable. Was it the right thing to do? I believe so, in that there were two DBs on him. Whether it was a fixed route? Don't know.

Could simply be that they were using an option route and they weren't on the same page. If so, that's on Jake. He shouldn't be throwing to a double covered receiver with other options.

Willig - meet in the middle. Fordham's a better run blocker. We need that. We also just need change. We blocked their base line somewhat well, the starters we had in there at guard had problems with pass blocking in preseason, so they exploited that. I did see Willig do a couple good things out there, I do think he's an asset, but he wasn't intended to be a starter.