1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Zona

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

A lot like the Saints.

Explosive offense, big recievers, (Coltson/Meacham, Boldin/Fitzgerald). Don't run as much, with an aging big back (Duece/Edge) suplemented with younger speed back (Bush/Hightower).

Both teams have some Pass rushers, but neither is real stout vs the run (Zona is 11th vs run, but allows 4.0 YPC). And both have issues in the secondary (though Zona has Wilson, their corners look overmatched).

We should have a similar game plan.

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Arizona has better receivers than the Saints. If Boldin plays then they are going to be able to put three very solid wide outs on the field at once. They do not run as well as the Saints or use the backs in the passing game as well. I think getting a sustained pass rush is going to be very important in this game. If we give Warner enough time he will make some big plays. Our corners are solid but they are not going to shut down the wide outs the Cards have without some pass rush help.

On offense hopefully we can crank up the run game. If we run well then we are hard to beat. Smith and Moose will hurt them if they load up to stop the run.

No more blocked punts!

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Hightower is a power back, not speed, but there are parallels elsewhere. Arizona seems to be more aggressive offensively.

4. y2b

y2b King of QC

and we should have similar results.

5. Piper

Piper phishin member

Speed back is probably not the right term. Watching the Dallas game, he had some nice receptions out of the backfield, showing good hands and got up field quickly. He's got some burst, more of a Barber type back though than Bush.

6. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

This is a huge game, for several reasons.

Want to get to 6-2 at the bye week, with two winnable games following.

Want to continue to show well at home.

Also, need to beat Arizona to hold the tiebreaker vs. them down the road. Tampa's schedule is cake, so we may be looking at fighting for the 5/6 seed. In that case, we need as many 1v1 tiebreakers, and conference wins, as possible.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Last time DW had good gains on cutbacks. Foster was ineffective, though it's Foster so there may still be good running room up the middle and if we can seal the second level.

We pulled out a trick or two with last game, too. I liked the gameplan we used with Vinny but we may attack it differently this time with Jake - we still threw in a couple deep balls with the elder QB and that was without a good run fake (DW was successful but only had 10 carries) or a good compliment receiver.

of course, they didn't have Warner either. Fitzgerald had almost 100 yards even with Rattay. Boldin didn't play (looks like Gamble gets the hurt guy again this week)and Johnson was the other receiver (4/29). We shut down Edge pretty well last time (aside from the 23 yd TD, and even with he was 22/80) and should continue.

8. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Didn't warner start last game we played, but pep fell on warner's arm after a fumble and he had to leave the game? Or was that another team that they played when that happened. Dang, I can't remember.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Rattay started this game. Both teams' starters were picked up that week, we actually chose Vinny over Rattay.

10. Piper

Piper phishin member

Actually, I was at that game, and what Coach said is what I remember. Rattay was picked up that week, but as a backup if I remember correctly. I remember old man Vinnie saying he considered them but turned zona down. Pep sacked Warner early in the game and he got hurt, and Rattay played most of the game.