1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

you're not alone

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, Mar 12, 2004.

1. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

NFL Network

After two Super Bowl victories in three seasons, I think the Patriots' management should get the benefit of the doubt. They have proven that their approach of spending modestly, even when it means parting ways with established players, works.

It works because the Pats' talent evaluators do an extraordinary job of identifying younger, less-accomplished players with cap-friendlier salaries who are ready to perform at a high level sooner rather than later. And it works because Bill Belichick and his coaching staff do an incredible job of preparing those younger, less-accomplished players with cap-friendlier salaries to perform at a high level sooner rather than later.

I think any team would miss a mammoth run stuffer such as Ted Washington, who bolted New England for the Raiders. I think any team would hate to lose a highly talented offensive lineman such as Damien Woody, who left the Pats for Detroit. But the Patriots remained true to a system that keeps high-end salaries to a minimum even while other clubs hand out the staggering deals we have seen since March 3, when the Indianapolis Colts agreed to pay $99 million over seven years to keep Peyton Manning. Sure, it can result in some backward steps, and the Patriots certainly took them after their first Super Bowl victory. But it was only for a year.

I can't recall greater panic surrounding a team than what we witnessed when they said good-bye to Lawyer Milloy and wound up facing him only days later in their 2003 season-opening debacle against Buffalo. Considering how well the Patriots rebounded from that -- as well as from their struggles in '02 -- and considering that they have been to three Super Bowls since Robert Kraft purchased them in 1994, there is reason to think they just might have a stronger grip on their status as a top contender than you think.

He obviously has not paid a visit to TBR.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

You think?

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

Helps to have a boatload of draft picks to fill those holes, which we don't have.

And they did take a backward step, didn't they?

And they do pay very well for that secondary. Even without Milloy, Law and Harrison cost a pretty, pretty penny.

There are enough differences.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004