1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

You know the drill: draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Mar 17, 2004.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home

We no longer have to make assumptions, because nothing any of us planned on happening, happened other than the obvious Smith signing.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2004top100.htm

Since we're down to scrubs, the only options are whether we sign a CB, a FS, or a TE right now, IMO. I don't think we'll do more than one and may not do any.

CB - sign Edwards
    31. Jones, FS - may as well. Not much other choice. Jones is a special case, but considering that we're using this as our theoretical ratings board, he's almost a round's reach.
    63. Devard Darling - best need player. We don't theoretically need a WR this high, but justification comes in Proehl's age and the lack of an extension for Muhammad.
    95. Max Starks, OT - I passed on OT and expected quality would be as good in the third. It was.
    127. Michael Gaines, TE, Central Florida - not unlike Manu. Very good athleticism in shorter spaces, can become good blocker, needs coaching. Reach.
    159. Pasha Jackson, LB - good solid athlete gives us a choice at OLB in the future, can fit in the middle right now. High motor player who will play mostly special teams.
    191. Vontez Duff, CB - project player. Adds return ability.
    Result: Filled one starting need, and Starks should be able to fill in either OT spot in a pinch - I just wouldnt want him at LT for any strong length of time. Darling would eventually start. Problems?
    Didn't back Edwards with anything of substance. Hawkins and Wesley will have to round things out.

S - sign Beckett
    31. Derrick Strait - why he'd fall behind the others, I don't know. Second best corner out here, IMO. We would have lucked into this pick.
    63. Darling again, for same reasons. A hard pick to make. No line of any substance here, linebacker not an immediate first day need, just got a corner, options aren't good anywhere else.
    95. Stephen Peterman, G, LSU - athletic enough, but a better in-line blocker than anything we have.
    127. Tony Pape, OT - just a need. And decent depth for a 4th.
    159. Chrs Cooley, TE - size.
    191. John Navarre, QB - just so this wont' be so damned boring.

TE - sign a warm body. It won't matter and won't really impact the draft that much. Only reason this is an alternative is the suggestion that we don't have a CB or FS.
    31. Strait - unbeatable luck.
    63. Schweigert - reach. But a need.
    95. Rimpf, Starks, Joseph, whatever - OT. Actually a very good place for them.
    127. Jake Bell, G - typical topped out lineman.
    159. Cotchery - shut up right now. bitches.
    191. Kris Wilson, TE - not a great fit. But someone has to make this position's five catches this year.

What I'm afraid they'd do - sign no one and then:

31. Vernon Carey, G - sell us on the idea that he can play tackle in a couple years.
    63. Nathan Vasher, CB - honest upgrade in an uninspiring package. Will be good, but never great.
    95. Jeremy Leseuer - sell us on how he can play FS and then sell us on how he and Vasher can both return punts. Play Leseuer out of position and not solve the hole with one decisive action. In other words, they would gamble that Everage would be there, lose out, and then do something funky like this.
    127. Bernard Berrian - WR depth. As the best return man of the group, we'd say that now we don't have to worry about our starting FS and CB returning kicks, even though saturday night's strengths suddenly got to be sunday's excuses.
    159. Cooley, TE - hey, it's a TE. rejoice. Honestly, I know nothing about this player. Honestly it's fifth round, and the more likely pick is, by history, Kansas FB Mark Pierce. And we have to pass Cotchery because we just got another returner/receiver.
    191. Jim Molinaro, OT, Notre Dame - why not? He can be depth for our depth.

2. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

blech

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

31. Derrick Strait CB 5-11, 195 Oklahoma
    Like I've said the #1 need here.

63. Jeb Terry OG 6-5, 310 North Carolina
    A little bit of a reach here I know. In the "real" world I'm betting Terry slips to where we can pick him later.

95. Max Starks OT 6-7, 350 Florida
    Groomed to become the eventual starter on the right side. My other option was Matt Ware and we convert him to a FS.

127. Courtney Anderson TE 6-6, 265 San Diego State
    Big guy TE that seems to be wanted.

159. Jerricho Cotchery WR 6-0, 212 North Carolina State
    I feel so dirty picking him, but in this round he's a steal.

191. Kentrell Curry FS 6-1, 200 Georgia
    More a backup than anything else.

4. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

Just because:

31 Derek Strait CB
    63 Devard Darling WR
    95 Matt Ware FS
    127 Jacob Bell G
    159 Jericho Cotchery WR
    191 John Navarre QB

5. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

1-3 are easy..

Strait
    Kolbert
    Ware
    then I have to study.

6. The Cat

You know they don't let you do that on draft day

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    :D

Honestly I never saw Ware on there until after I'd made my picks. I don't go through the lists and find out where 'my guys' are. No fun in that. I personally have Joseph rated over Starks, and yet picked Starks one of the times I picked OT there.

8. The Cat

Hey you Have to see who available.

9. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

I get Saturday night...:)

10. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I didn't realize Cotchery was rated to go that late.