1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

You know the drill: draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Durden

Durden Full Access Member

He's real good in coverage. The question is, can he support the run. Right this second I would rather play Coop at LB in Passing situations than waste a 2nd on a S/LB that would be able to do pretty much the same thing.

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

What's up with the 320 lb TE?

And his name is Jason Peters.

We should draft him, because you can;t bust on the same name twice.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    >>I'm gonna set out three basic assumptions and fill them from there

As before. I'll add as a note that these guys are total idiots for one reason: Rod Davis at 159. I will refrain from drafting him in this study because that's kinda fucked up.

Assuming resigning Grant, James or fill their positions with FAs as typical; FA corner

31. Michael Jenkins, WR, Ohio St. - though I don't think they'd go WR first, Jenkins makes the most sense in this scenario. The pick hinges on whether Jenkins is tough enough to use his size in the running game.
    63. Ben Watson, TE, UGA - Godsend. A need pick that is good value.
    95. Darryl Smith, ILB, GT - somewhat undersized, could play strongside in the future, for right now is insurance against Morgan and gives us a similar player to Witherspoon otherwise. Could be come a captain of sorts, for the nickel defense, and is the coverage linebacker I want.
    127. Brian Rimpf, OT, ECU - big, raw player who's being considered a guy who can succeed if someone stays on his ass. Maser's probably looking for a guy like this, if he can get past the distaste of an undermotivated player. Could eventually play RT, though could be a good fit at RG as well.
    159. Shawn Johnson, DE - average backup for depth. Typical "he's already been coached well, so we're going to try to get more out of him by coaching him better" pick.
    191. Jarrett Payton, RB, UM - seems like a fit. Not because he's Walter's kid, either. I think in two years he could be a 2nd back.

Negatives to the scenario: IMO, very few. This scenario puts together the FA situation I'd want with a draft that takes care of all needs except corner. And I passed up some serviceable corners.

Assuming we neglect FS altogether, but otherwise same as above:

31. Sean Jones, FS - got lucky. Just like last scenario. It's good value.
    63. Watson again makes most sense.
    95. Berrian, WR, FresSt - can work in this offense as a slot; returner.
    127. Bruce Thornton, Georgia - rising nickel. Corner with average abilities in all regards except ballhawking - will put his hands on the ball. Not expected in my opinion to be more than a nickel who plays off his man but that's all I'm looking for. Alternate picks - Shawntae Spencer, Kirk Chambers.
    159. Pasha Jackson - underrated linebacker with the right tools. Backup at strongside linebacker, special teamer.
    191. Brandon Phillops, OT, Az - size prospect to develop at tackle.

Negatives to the scenario: Again, waiting on a starter to be there at 31 by planning the obsolescence of the position is very, very risky. Stuart Schweigert, IMO, is a third rounder, and Bob Sanders has no business being listed this high. Neglected offensive line.
    Overall, advanced playmaking with a defensive back and receiver who can make htings happen.

Assuming we resign Grant, James, Howard; add vet TE, cut Steussie without replacement (keep Tuten, Willig)

31. Tony Pape, OT, Michigan - reach pick. Wonderful kid, good player, just bad reach for need again. Could've been available at 63.
    63. Watson, yet again. No way there's anything better at that pick for value.
    95. Dontarrious Thomas - no way he's there. Geez. Fills immediate need.
    127. Anthony Herrera, G, UT - good run blocker who can develop. Depth/competition. No good corners here.
    159. Jason Geathers, WR - jack of all trades. Let's say he'll be developed to return some, too.

Negatives to the scenario: For one, I didn't finish it until a day later, for some reason, and had gibberish in here before I edited it. Since I edited it, hell, I'll put in Dontarrious Thomas. Nothing at corner, not really improving at WR.

Assuming we resign the above or fill with FA; cut Steussie and Muhammad without replacement (keep Proehl, return Dyson and backup OTs); sign TE, G.

31. Jenkins, WR - no other choice in this scenario, really.
    63. Kelly Butler, OT, Purdue - big player who we must now make ready for starting at RT asap
    95. Dontarrious Thomas, OLB - have no idea how I've missed him till now. Not much point in revising.
    127. Ben Hartsock, TE, OSU - big, slow blocker.
    159. Nathanial Adibi, DE, Virginia Tech. Value/depth. Small.

Negatives: Thomas won't actually be there at 95. Must start rook WR, RT.

And finally, if every worthwhile Panther retired today leaving the team with just scrubs, NFLE, and had to build a team from amongst these players (i.e., my favorite picks regardless of need) and leaving us only enough money to sign a random near-starting level RB, QB, and left tackle:

31. J.P. Losman, QB - groomable figurehead. great leader. Great value here. If we had nothing behind Peete right now, and Rodney were starting, Losman would be perfect to groom.
    63. Watson
    95. Brandon Everage, S - defensive leader; steady, could build a defensive backfield around him.
    127. Rod Davis, MLB - defensive figurehead
    159. Brandon Chillar, OLB - value pick.
    191. Payton, RB

I know it's once again a silly situation to project, but it's a lot different to project a draft that has a team starting completely over with a few exceptions, and I'm bored.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Excellent in coverage. But 212 lbs. A guy who you could play weakside, but we have Witherspoon there. I wouldn't mind the pick, if we had other things taken care of.

5. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

I don't see Boulware worth #31. I'd wait and see if he falls (size concerns) to the 2nd. Scoop him up at that pick in a second though.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Looking back I fucked up one of my scenarios. Edited to finish it.

Agreed. No way he's a first, I don't even know that the third LB will be off the boards at that point. DOn't find him the third LB. But if we've got enough holes filled, could do a lot worse than have a guy like this running the nickel.

7. Shocker

Yes, and that was a good point earlier about Will. I think I'd rather get Lehman or Dansby who both may be available before a Boulware. His coverage skills will get him drafted before round 3, but need a blitzer and/or run supporter more right now.

Lehman is underated IMO. There's no way a guy like him should last to round 2. I think he's better than DJ right now. DJ has more upside but I take Lehman because he's gonna be more sound and give you a playmaker early on. Especially as a run supporter and blitzer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Agree in general principle, that a bigger guy is probably the way to go. I'd love more speed, but not at the price of duplicity.

Meanwhile, not a fan of Lehman. Don't find him to be that high in the LB order, either.Probably 5th, IMO. Don't know, but I wouldn't find Vilma in the first right now and I find him better.

9. Shocker

I like Vilma quite a bit.

10. Piper

Piper phishin member

Problem is, though, he's smaller than Dan. Which pushes him weakside, where we already have a solid guy in spoon.

That's the problem with Dansby too. He might be able to grow into the strong side position, he got room to grow, but right now he plays like a weakside guy.