1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Wonderlic

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Full Access Member

It really is. However, just because it is timed and involves pressure to process, that does not make it a valid measure of reactive processing because it in no way simulates anything the player encounters on the football field. All learning is related, directly and indirectly, to pre-existing intellingence, but my only comment was that it would be more beneficial to measure QBs than CBs. QBs are more cerebral because intelligence is a weapon. It is different than experience or street smarts. THe Wonderlic offers new stimuli and multiple choices (4).

When the dust settles, B&B is exactly right. It has little value to the NFL and the NFL doesn't use it properly. It is an intelligence test, not a performance test--and the fact that football IQ is different in a lot of ways to IQ, I don't see why they use it at all.

B & B, to add to your point. A key indicator that determines if a guy is having difficulty processing is one who plays slower than he times when no thinking is involved. A WR who runs a 4.34 40 slows to a 4.6 during games, for example. Then you have the player like Nic Harris, who was a 4.85 40 Safety in college. He survived by reading quickly and anticipating. He may have played at the 4.6 level and never neared that on a watch. Good point.

2. Skidmark

Skidmark Full Access Member

And that is true. They are tie breakers and no more. I bet the teams don't even know the significance of it beyond what you say above. I think it can only hurt a players' image. Too high is a negative. Too low and they think you are retarted. The tape is the thing, and the interview.

With QBs, maybe they can't tell what he is reading or what is being sent in from the sideline etc. Still, interview him, chalk talk, etc. How quickly he can figure when trains from Cleveland and Baltimore will pass each other is stupid.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Do you have any experience with football or other sports where learning such material is necessary? It doesn't sound like you do. Learning the playbook isn't something you do on your own within a limited period of time. That's about processing and recalling imparted information, not about reasoning ability and problem-solving.

:banghead: No, it doesn't. It's all the prefrontal cortex.

It doesn't mean that you physically control the car more adroitly, or that you physically react faster, but it absolutely would mean that you mentally react more quickly and more accurately process environmental information to make decisions about what to do while driving. So let's take Patrick Peterson and Random CB. Peterson's cognitive processing ability is obviously suspect, which means that he is less likely to notice and process information such as the WR's footwork or the QB's body language, but his athletic ability is so remarkable that even reacting late to his environment can still produce a faster result than Random CB. But the low Wonderlic unquestionably is a legitimate concern about his ability to recognize and react to his environment.

I would be more tolerant of you if you were asking this question genuinely instead of rhetorically. Moreover, it's mind-boggling that you can't grasp the connection between this and the distinction between students who do well on tests and those who best grasp and recite the textbook. Those are different types of brain activities. Reacting to unexpected stimuli, problem solving, reasoning, and reaching conclusions without assistance is what we're talking about in terms of IQ tests or the Wonderlic. Learning the playbook is more akin to the textbook, where you have assisted assimilation of information followed by expected regurgitation of that information. Put simply, it's memorization. That's a different part of the brain, specifically the temporal lobe.

4. rake

rake Need one of these

the real collin is back . . .

yippy

5. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I really don't understand what the fuck you are trying to say here. I just said that the test is a complete waste of time.

6. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Marino and Kelly both bombed the test. Didn't matter. Marino was masterful in the pocket, and Kelly ran arguably the most complex offense of his time.

7. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

8. y2b

y2b King of QC

Zero rings

9. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Not to mention i highly doubt it was taken nearly as seriously as it is these days.

I dont want a dumbass. The wonderlic will basically expose anyone that got a free ride in college. Peterson obviously relies more on his god given physical talents, that has got him this far. In the NFL, he is gonna have to apply himself a tad more to the mental game. A low wonderlic score imples he doesnt give a rats ass about studying and has rarely done so.

10. CarPanthers20

CarPanthers20 The Other Godfrey

I stopped paying attention when he referred to himself in the third person.