1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

With the 7th pick..

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherPaul, Jan 1, 2020.

1. CoachMcFly

CoachMcFly Full Access Member

Oline needs to be priority #1...Then I'd look for MLB/WR/TE/SS/RB/CB in that order.

2. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Not sure I agree with you Coach. Our DTs are all old and only one is any good.

CoachMcFly likes this.
  3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

If dline is the priority is it a 4-3 tackle or are we going to still try to be a 3-4

4. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Rhule prefers the 4-3, but it's possible Ron left him in a place where he has to do hybrid shit for a couple years. We really need a big DE that can rush the passer and set the edge, but there isn't one that makes sense in the first here, unless we trade down.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

I still think Derrick Brown would be somewhat wasted as a nose, but Short will be 31 and might get cut after the season anyway. Unfortunately Okudah won't make it to seven barring an injury or scandal, but someone of very high quality will be available.

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Brown will be what Butler was supposed to develop in to. He will rotate with Sjort and eventually take over for him.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Brown essentially is a younger Short, and as such could end up becoming a Pro Bowl three technique. Even before he became a bust, Vernon Butler was a very different type of defensive tackle in that he was much larger and relied on strength rather than agility. He was supposed to take over for Lotulelei, not Short. Butler was never out of position as a one technique, he just sucked at it because he sucks at everything. To me, it would not be a good idea to play Brown and Short beside each other and therefore if you take Brown then you trade Short for whatever you can get.

Black&Black likes this.
  8. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I recall that Butler's scouting report when he was drafted said he could play 3-technique or 5-technique. I don't think he was thought of as a nose tackle, he was either a UT or a DE, but I'm old so who knows? Rivera seemed to line him up wide a lot, more than as a space-eater.

Agree that Brown is a Short clone, but Short is only around for another year or two anyway. He would be the second D-Lineman in as many years to come in as a rotation player, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing IMO. Okudah is the only other defensive player who fills a need that merits a look at seven (Simmons is arguable though).

I humbly predict we get a MLB and/or C in rounds two and three.

9. Bla bla bla

Bla bla bla Junior Member

I think we'll resign Beachum our current starting LT so we have the flexibility to take a LT in the draft or go WR. We are losing Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa, taking CeeDee Lamb would be 100% fine with pretty much any Jets fan.

If the Panthers want a MLB maybe we trade our first and Avery Williamson to move up to snag a LT but I'd be pretty surprised to see us lose picks. Douglas needs to wash the roster of all Macc's guys so he will likely use all our picks.

10. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

Jumping from the 49ers to the Jets is a strange move at this juncture. I guess you just like being a cuckold.