1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Windows 8

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by PantherPaul, Oct 28, 2012.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

2 questions
    Is it worth getting, what's new?
    I've always heard a full windows install is best but several places are offering the upgrade for 59.00 but without a cd. Can't you download burn it then run it?

2. Parker

Parker Full Access Member

I've been very critical of it since I tried the consumer preview which lasted about 3 hours on my machine and I was back to Windows 7.

I was given a full copy of Windows 8 Pro. I did a clean install and it was very quick and easy. The smoothness and speed of the OS is the best I've seen from Windows. The charms and Start screen take a little getting used to, but it's not all that bad. I like it so much that I will probably upgrade my other machines. I'm really impressed with the clean interface and social integration. I'm going to try to do an upgrade on my desktop and see if it works as well as the full install.

3. Parker

Parker Full Access Member

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Its not bad for $60. But its more a want than a need.

I got it with my work's MSDN account.

I'm running it on my home PC my home laptop, and my work PC. It'll be a LOOONG time before it takes off at the business place. It'll be excellent for tablet and touch screen PCs. Its useable without, but a bitch to figure out at first. I'd like to get one of the Kinect for PC devices. Kinda like the Xbox Kinect. Its smaller and made to work on a PC. That'll make it a little more useable in its complete form.

PS- Yes you can download it and load it to a DVD or even a jump drive these days.

5. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

It's not optimal for a desktop environment.