1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 Questions

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by PantherPaul, Oct 26, 2009.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

A friend of mine has the upgrade of Vista for XP. What's stopping me from using it to upgrade to Vista and then a family pack to upgrade from Vista to 7?

2. Fro

Fro FFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffff

i did a clean install of win7 ultimate

3. y2b

y2b King of QC

LMAO

4. twentybelow0

twentybelow0 Full Access Member

Uh-oh boys and girls. Mine just crashed. I got lines across the screen then the blue screen of death that read "Crash Dump" then it died. Tried to restart but it won't get past the log on screen and video goes bezerk. Reinstalled my XP hd and everything works great. Hmmmm.

5. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

did you try to upgrade from XP to 7? You can't do that.

6. Little Guy

Little Guy Full Access Member

And if you still wanted to do that you have to completely Uninstall XP Then Put 7 on. You can not go directly from XP to 7 without doing a complete clean install first. That then takes XP off the machine completely.
    OR you can Upgrade to Vista from XP THEN go directly to 7 without doing a complete clean reformat. But then again that can take some time also.

* Glad I have a new IMac.

7. twentybelow0

Clean install on a separate hard drive.
    It might be my fault. Yesterday I was trying a Vista work around trying to get 7 to recognize my gameport. Got it to recognize the port and load the drivers but it continued to say that the joystick was not connected. I guess if I want to continue playing older games I will have to dual boot. It also could have been the nice set of tits I was looking at when it died. :)

8. twentybelow0

The wife has a new Macbook. She is going to school for a graphics degree.

9. Little Guy

Little Guy Full Access Member

Great she will love it.
    I am very happy with what I did.
    I learned on Apples and Macs way back in the early 90's.
    But when I wanted a home PC, I went with H-P for my first one, and then 7 years later bought a Dell.
    Now 7 years after that I decided I have had enough of the M$ stuff and the things one has to go through week after week month after month year after year just to keep Windoze operating correctly.
    Now after I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard at a Low cost of $29.95.
    It is now even faster then before. I love it.

10. Bootay

Bootay Poppycock

There is so much misinformation here, mostly from the idiot Mac users trolling, I feel compelled to shed some light.

A Win7 family pack costs very little, allows 3 machines to be upgraded at home cheap.
    A Win7 upgrade license is available (and WinXP is valid for this upgrade license even if technically it doesn't do an upgrade) for fairly cheap.
    Windows 7 installs in like 15-20 minutes, and you don't have to backup your data first (but you should always have a good backup - carbonite, NAS, something, just not especially for the OS install). It will install, and if you don't upgrade it will just move the old c:\ to c:\windows.old by default. After the OS is installed, you can go get your data from C:\windows.old as needed. You'll have to install your apps, but that's not a biggie as they often need upgraded versions anyway.
    The "you have to format your drive, then install x, then install y, then do Windows 7" is total crap. If you use a Mac, go away, you know nothing about Windows 7, don't confuse people.

Windows 7 Home Premium is all 99% of people need.
    Rare people with a domain at home or a need for multiple languages or a need for the WinXP compatibility mode might want Pro or Ultimate.

Good luck!