1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Why Not Steve Smith as a starter.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Oct 29, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Just don't feel like "you had any backing". You simply wanted to sit and wait and I seriously doubt I'd be here looking for any such I told you so if Smith had 40 catches for 620 yards and 4 scores. Next time, if you got it, bring it, don't sit there on your hands and hope.

Yes, concern over Smith's motivation is still a familiar one in my mind, Rake.
    Of course, people said that about Muhammad, too, and technically, he came up with a better season. Minter's continually risen after he got paid. Rucker and Jenkins were, of course, nearing the sweet spots of their careers anyway.
    But still, none of them have had the loss of concentration that comes with Smith. So I don't highly doubt him, but I do get a little concerned that he could become a problem later and that we'll be stuck with him. Not to question character, but he's got that angry streak. Fox has, somewhat silently in the press anyway, questioned whether or not having a playmaker of that nature is worth it for a disruption in the team. Naturally, I don't think that's a concern right now, but neither a team leader nor the most upstanding citizen will he ever be.

Plus, there's the standard concerns over routes.

You don't franchise tag RFAs. Geez. Let's get carried away.

2. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

That's not what the radio shows were saying....if we make an offer and someone makes a larger offer we have the option to match the offer, thus RFA, but rather than take that chance we simply tag him with the Franchise tag....atleast that's what WFNZ was saying....but they've been wrong before.

Either way I'd take smith over moose all day everyday....with mooses pay hike next season I say we trade or release him and sign dyson then draft a big guy and let Proehl step up as the #3 and play his last season or two while training our #1 draft pick.

All that being said I don't see it happening.....especially with pictures like this...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  3. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

?

I'm not about "I told you so" and you know that..lets back up to the the beginning..

I started the thread in week 6 to say basically that projecting Smith were to carry his numbers through the season, why should he not be considered as a starter in our line-up. I even stated we needed to pair him with a pick. but he's exceeded my expectations, does he have to improve still, sure..again - I just don't think "I was wrong"

4. Piper

Piper phishin member

His route running his first two and a half years was inconsistent, but this was a thing he was known for at Utah. I think Jake and Fox have praised his route running of late. That last one sure was pretty.

I see the point about playing angry. I'm glad we called him "marginal", ever since then he's shown that concentration he lacked before. He's made big plays, he's made people miss, he's made the tough catch, he's been the spark we desperately needed. Ever since Houston really, he's focused that anger onto his game. He's twice the player he was week 6. Three times the player he was last year.

The criticicims were applicable then. They are no longer. I'm a believer. Pay him.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Hehehe, you might want to take your name out of the post. You were looking to attach, I think.
    Nonetheless, yes, FNZ is wrong. With the first round tender, you don't have to pay him over $5 mil this year, and people are still very unlikely to make a move. $1.3 mil and a pick to hang over their heads, v/s 4 times that, with two picks over their head? Sure, it's not impossible. We could franchise anyone without a contract. It's just that RFA gives you everything that franchise would, without the exorbitant cost.

WP, if you were interested then or now in anything other than that, you'd probably have something to say other than that.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Yep. Agreed.
    And of course, any of you guys who want to get into the "told you so" game can go back to the Kris Jenkins pick, or when I lobbied for Delhomme in RFA, or the way some of y'all acted when we signed John Fox initially. Hell, some of you could be put to a crying shame this very minute just by searching for April 2003, Ricky Manning. And myself, I didn't like what we gave up to get him. But I liked the pick. Now, of course, the cost is well worth it.
    Just like no one was crying about what Moose cost, when they saw he could pancake a defensive end, and more than once.

7. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

Most people know my name...it's kinda the same as my screen name.

8. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

Or when I crawled up Jeff Lewis's asshole and called him the second coming of Elway........

sorry couldn't resist.....hehe hee back at you.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

at least I can attach an image, Kordell :D

10. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

after 13,612 posts I should hope so......Lewis.....

for some reason the file is too large.....I do need some help...maybe you could tell me how....rather than bust my balls?