1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Collin, Jul 29, 2011.

1. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

We definitely overpaid for CJ, but we really don't know how much Atlanta offered. Maybe it will come out later.

I don't think low balling him was the way to go either. We have to consider that he'd probably have gone to Atlanta if the offers were close. At least I think he would have. Winning, he went to UGA, family.

As far as I can see right now, as a player, money aside, I'd take CJ over Edwards.

And Collin I am with you on Hurney, but you did say that you'd have gone pretty high on CJ yourself.

2. heelsnum1

heelsnum1 Full Access Member

Bottom line is we had to take somebody at DE. It was safer and easeir (even if more expensive) to go hard at CJ. It's not like we could have just landed Edwards for the same contract that ATL did if we passed on CJ.

3. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Edwards is not as strong a player. Sorry. You can kick me in the taint, and that's fine, but he's not.

Plus, he's a fucking dicknose who wants to wrestle and do other shit.

CJ is just a mutant who gets sacks.

Splitting hairs a bit with these contracts. Hurney fucked us all in the ass with the Delhomme deal. Can't deny that. But, I'm cool with CJ.

4. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Oh, and Collin: I'm not in the kind of mood right now to go 30 pages deep with you on this shit. I never do. So, honestly, go fuck fight with Thelt, Rake, or someone else.

And, joder la manta.

5. udontknowme

udontknowme Full Access Member

Heres another way to put it. They could've had 2 of the top 3 FA DE, for less money, in Jason Babin's 5 year 28MM contract and Ray Edwards 5 year 30mm contract, and still maybe filled another starter. It'd probably be more guaranteed, but still would've been more flexible cap wise.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

I like having fans of other teams here to confirm just how right I am, since most of these guys understandably wish the team was making better moves than they are. For instance, all this nonsense downplaying Edwards is silly. He's a guy who has had at least eight sacks each of the last two seasons while playing the strong side end. Charles Johnson was better, but not nearly by twice as much.

Johnson himself said that Atlanta's offer was nowhere even close, and that he was shocked by how much the Panthers offered. This simply wasn't a big market for defensive ends. Most of the teams with plenty of cap space were already set at the position, so there wasn't a lot of competition for CJ. If Hurney wasn't a moron, he would have let the market establish itself and then do what it took to re-sign Johnson. Even if he waited to see what someone offered and then beat that by 10%, it would have saved over ten million dollars. No team came anywhere close to the Panthers' offer for either Johnson or Williams.

No kidding, but that's not the question is it? You can't set the money aside because the money is the whole fucking point.

I said that the team had to sign Johnson or Edwards, not that they had to double anyone else's offer. In a salary cap system you want to pay the least amount possible to get the players you want. Bidding against yourself and spending far more than anyone else would have is precisely what got the Panthers in salary cap hell before. Hurney is just racing to get the team back there again.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

You don't know what he looks like, Thelt. You don't even know who Ray Edwards is. And remember that you're the same guy who insisted that Ma'ake Kemoeatu would be an asset in the pass rush.

8. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Id rather Aso at 60 mill too. But how do you know those guys are willing to join the Panthers. Money doesnt always rule.

Here's a thought, anyone think the Eagles might be interested in trading Samuel. Another McDermot guy. Wasnt there talk of him moving on before?

9. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Like I said, I'm with you on Hurney, but in the immediate aftermath, and before we knew what we know now:

Page two of the Johnson signed thread.

http://www.thisboardrocks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178892&page=2

10. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

lol