1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Collin, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

Charles Johnson for $76 million over six seasons

or

Ray Edwards for $30 million over five seasons?

2. The Special One

The Special One BALL HARD UNIVERSITY

Johnson

Edwards is a nice player but he had Jared on the other side. Oh and ATL's 1st choice was Charles Johnson.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Falcons were lucky enough to get a better deal. They didn't have to lock into one player and lowballed until they suckered someone.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

Atlanta's first choice was Charles Johnson, and so would mine if the money was equal. But the Falcons heard how much the Panthers were offering, and once they stopped laughing, they got Edwards for less than half the annual salary. Johnson is a better run defender, while they're about equal when it comes to rushing the passer. As for the Jared Allen comment, how does that matter? Having a great pass rushing defensive tackle helps a defensive end because it affects the blockers in the immediate area, but players on opposite sides of the formation aren't usually affecting how the other is blocked.

5. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Edwards had fewer sacks playing on a much better DL...

6. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Tough choice dude. Love CJ but we broke the bank for him. He's the better player but damn, my loyalty is tested with this one.

The other one you have to look at who would you rather have,
    DeAngelo Williams at 5 years $43 million
    Jonathan Joseph 5 years $48.75 million

We clearly had goal of keeping our core intact and they went out and did it. Price was high though. Would we have been a better team with Edwards and Joseph?

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

My point is that it isn't a tough choice. You have to be stupid or an incredibly biased Panthers fan to not choose the Edwards contract by a landslide. The other NFC South GMs are taking Marty Hurney to school.

Without question.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Easy to live in retrospect. Of course half is a better deal, and everyone would draft Brady that year,.too.
    I'd love to have seen what we would've paid for our guys in any situation that favored us. But since FA isn't an siction format you can't just say you'd pay what someone else did, anymore than you can draft that way
    they felt like they couldn't let various guys go. They paid premium on the first day, nothing different than my expectation. Rigjt or wrong, some of these teams can gamble a bit by waiting.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Nice to see you continuing to make bullshit homer excuses instead of admitting that Hurney fucked up yet again.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I am not sold on Ray Edwards. With out the rest of the DL he was paired with in Minnesota I think he looks very average. I would rather have CJ for big money if he puts up big production than Edwards for his money and have no pass rush.