1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What's the best new phone?

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Farmer, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Farmer

Farmer you eyein' me boy?

so I had to get a verizon network extender to be able to really talk on my phone at home. I live out in a fairly rural area so the signal right around me is crap. It's very good nearly anyplace else I travel. The network extender has worked really well so I'm glad to be able to use the phone at home. I like the iPhone and would consider that - but don't know if the signal would be good at the house... so I'm thinking Droid. Should I go with the new HTC - what the hell is it, Incredible? - or someone said something newer is coming out soon? when and what is it? should I wait? thanks. this is so not my area of expertise at all, so help a farmer out.

2. Parker

Parker Full Access Member

I have the droid incredible and love it. I've owned the original motorola droid and liked it a lot. The new one is the droid X. I haven't used it and probably won't because I'm not sure there is a $300 difference between the incredible and the droid x other than the HDMI out and a larger screen.

The Incredible, which is made by HTC, has a more themed interface and more stock widgets. The Droid X has a more plain interface that you customize from there.

All that being said, since they are the same price and you mentioned you live in a rural area, I'd probably go with the Droid X. In my experience, the motorola phones get better call service than any other brand. That and its the newer of the two.

Review of Droid X. Has video at bottom of page.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=385

Review of Droid Incredible. No Video
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=358&p=2566

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. y2b

y2b King of QC

yeah i'm going to have call bs on that

4. Parker

You can call whatever you want to. I'm speaking from experience and live in a low service area.

5. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

I have the motorola droid. I wanted a keyboard. Bought it the week before the Incredible came out. We went back in and looked at the Incredible but decided to just keep the motorolas instead. (It helped that we also went in to get the 2-for-1 deal on the motorola. I did, however, actually have to pry the Incredible from my wife's hands to give it back to the sales guy cause it was the only one in the store. See Plutosgirl in R&R).

We're waiting til next year to upgrade. Farmer could probably get by just fine on the motorola.

6. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

AT&T have these extenders now I believe. Do you rent these, or can you buy them. The cell reception in our house is a lot better now with AT&T but still could be better.

7. Parker

I loved my morotorla droid. However, I got a free Incredible, so that is the only reason I changed. Personally, I'm waiting until the 4G (LTE)phones start coming out before I upgrade again.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

http://www.taranfx.com/android-2ghz-phone

9. Parker

Wow!

10. Farmer

Farmer you eyein' me boy?

I went to look at what they had at the Vzw store several weeks ago and liked the size of the Incredible. The Motorola Droid with the keyboard (which I like) I hated... It felt like a big slab of metal and felt like it weighed 5 pounds - I don't wanna carry that big ass thing around in my pocket.

But there was something coming out after the incredible? the X or the Froyo? I want something current and easy to use. oooorrrr... if I knew for real that the Iphone would come to VZW in january - I could wait until that - I have friends with those who could show me how to use that. I don't know anyone with a Droid...

oh and whoever was asking - the network extender for verizon - works great - one time fee - you just purchase the unit for 200 bucks with a 100 dollar rebate, hooks up to your DSL and has an internal GPS also I guess. somehow it amplifies the nearest tower's signal and now I have four bars of signal in the house when I normally had NONE or a sporadic one bar if I held my tongue just right...