1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WFNZ's Ratings Continue to Drop Like the Titanic!!!!!

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by sds70, Aug 11, 2007.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, could it be time for DJ Stout & Co. to polish up their resume? Their overall ratings dropped 33% vs. last spring's numbers and they now are only #11 in the heavily desired Male 25-54 Category.

Ratings for Local Radio Stations

Seriously, I would think one bad ratings book the corporate suits at CBS Radio might go take a note of it but not make changes. 2 bad books (especially in your key Male 25-54 Category) and I think the suits are talking about changes in management. For years, they've gotten away with doing OK (mainly via PRIMETIME) despite a crappy signal and decent but not great programming (Knights & UNCC Hoops). I think this is now starting to bite them on the butt.

Later on this year (or early next) we will see if carrying UNC football-hoops has helped them at all (fall & winter 2008 numbers vs. 2007). It was a good idea to pick up the Tarheels, but again with a crappy 5k stick hardly anybody can hear them outside the immediate Charlotte area (especially at night). I know that they've tweaked their stick out on Radio Road several times over the years, but simply getting an extra 2-3 miles out of the signal isn't going to help WFNZ get more listeners.

If you look at most of the great sportstalk radio stations in the country (WFAN, KNBR, WEEI, etc.) they have flagship programming in NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. Who does WFNZ have? They never made a play to land the Bobcats/Hornets or Panthers, which would've been a home run for them (I'm sure there was someway they could've paired up with one of their FM stations to accomplish this). Without flagship programming, WFNZ will never be a true destination station. They will make a little bit of money with their cashcow program (PRIMETIME) and that will be it. Look at the layoffs/firiing they had in the last year to save some money (Hayseed/Penner and any other staff layoffs that they have that might not have been publicized).

THE BOTTOM LINE: WFNZ needs major surgery and quick!!!!! If I was Programming Director, I would . . . .

1) Sign up as a Braves affililate (this will bring in listeners for the spring & summer books). Braves would be on whenever they were on and not just night time only (i.e. if Braves play during the afternoon, MAC ATTACK would get bumped. If the show goes over into PRIMETIME, then Packman would just go on late locally**)

2) Make a hard, serious push to get the Bobcats and/or Panthers when the radio contract comes up (My first choice would be Panthers).

3) Bye, bye Knights & Davidson !!!!!! Lineup has become too cluttered, need to trim the excess.

** I'm sure its not difficult to do, especially since they are on 2 stations (610 & 1660)

4) To accomplish #2, you need to move the Franchise to one of their FM signals. Bye, bye K104.7 !!!!! I think the reward (higher ratings & listenership) will offset the negatives (office gerbils who need their Barry Manilow classic fix at 9am :D :D !!!!!!!!)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

Is that both stations rolled into one or just wfnz. I would assume 1660 gets most of the listeners when Chris McLean is on. That show is unbearable.

Packman turns off alot of people who just cant stand him any longer. That timeslot needs something new.

Who listens to baseball on the radio except for old men at a barber shop in the 1950's? That won't help anything.

3. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

..they don't have an ass for a host in primetime...

4. Test123

Test123 Full Access Member

I doubt they would do that...CBS wants teams to pay to be on their air and the Braves will not pay to be on in Charlotte.

Since most Bobcats games are at night when 610/1660's signal is weak it is very unlikely that would happen...The Bobcats like 106.1 because it covers South Charlotte pretty well...

I think the Panthers are very happy with their current relationship with WBT. The Panthers are not going to pay so that would leave CBS out. Things may change if/when WBT is sold...

Knights and Davidson will stay because they pay. Davidson would love an FM to carry their Basketball games but that is going to be tough. No AM station covers Davidson at night other than WBT. I don't think Davidson is willing to pay what WBT would want to carry the games.

Not gonna happen. I hear 104.7 is the top billing CBS station in the QC. It cost them next to nothing to run...no way they make a change. All of the CBS FMs do pretty well. I don't see any of them making a change any time soon...

Fact of the matter WFNZ/WFNA are doing pretty well right where they are. They are making money and I bet their P1 ratings are not too bad.

Testing123

5. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

If you call getting your ass handed to you by every English speaking radio station in Charlotte "pretty well"

FNZ sucks monkey nuts

6. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

WFNZ/WFNA is doing well? Ummmmmmmm, the numbers say no. If your #11 in your most targeted category, then you have issues!!!!!!! P1 ratings=Male 23-54 right?

BOTTOM LINE: I think WFNZ/WFNA has run their course. They will always be an afterthought unless they get a better signal (which probably won't happen) or make a serious run to get the bobcats or Panthers rights (which won't happen because of the signal issue).

7. Test123

Test123 Full Access Member

I don't think the ratings make much matter for some stations. I understand that WFNZ makes a good bit of money. 11th 25/54 men is not insignificant. No other format would bring those kinds of numbers on those frequencies.

I understand there was some talk a while back about changing the format on 1660. I heard they tossed about the idea of Progressive left leaning talk. While that is not my cup of tea it is not being done around here and would have some audience. For some reason they decided not to change.

I think it would have been good for WFNZ if WFNA flipped. Liberal talk would have brought new and different listeners to the AM dial. Now people in Charlotte really only have two AM stations worth listening to. With Danny Fontana's 1220 coming on the air soon there will be three. The more viable AM stations their are the better they all would do I think.

CBS has made a commitment to 610 and 1660. In the last year they have spent a good bit of money on the technical side. On 610 they replaced everything but the towers. They have installed HD Radio on both stations. If you haven't heard AM HD you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Both stations sound like FM.

t123

8. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

WFNZ is the main reason I went out and bought a satellite radio.

9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

true, true and :disappointed: on the last one.

10. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

You're just sayin that.....