1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Vitamins

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine Forum' started by PantherPaul, Jan 1, 2006.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Do you think they are needed or not? Also does the body readily take in as much vitamins and minerals when you get older? My step dad takes several and got me thinking.

2. Fred

Fred .........

vitamins obtained naturally thru food are better absorbed into the body. But sometimes when dietary intake is not adequate or if the body is fighting (during an illness/trauma/emotional stress), suppliments may be necessary.

I take an antioxident vitamin every day simply due to the type of work I do.

Older folks tend to eat less and usually lack all the vitamins and minerals their body needs. Plus their immune systems are slowing down. I personally think everyone over 50 should take a multivitamin.

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

and those close to 50....multi-vitamin and exercise works. :woohoo:

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I take a multi vitamin and an aspirin daily. Then there are the doctor prescribed meds. :ylsuper:

I see a lot of people taking a shit load of vitamins not just multi variety and wondered if they were necessary. Dad takes one for a "happier" prostate

5. Fred

Fred .........

saw palmetto?

6. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

7. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I know when I started taking potassium and calcium supplements my hand cramps went away. I also do a multivitamin, vitamin C and an aspirin a day.

I imagine as you get older your body doesn't take in and use vitamins as readily as a younger person. That's what getting old is, shit starts slowing down and stopping working.

8. sdplusbeauty

sdplusbeauty An angel over my shoulder

Your body does need a multi-vitamin, and a anti-oxidant.

Most the vitamins that we eat from foods are passed directly through our bodies. Also with the increase in hormones, and pesticides on our vegtables, and fruits, the vitamins that were once filled in our foods are now non-existant and potentially hazardous to us as well.

That's why you need a vitamin, we definitely don't get enough no matter how much we eat.. unless you can shell out the $$ for mostly all organic foods. That's always the best.

Now as far as an anti-oxident. Our body is exposed to tons of nasty toxins in the air, and by the way we eat, drink etc. Pretend you have an apple, and you leave the apple out.. the air turns it brown right? That's how our skin is, and our bodies are.. in order to keep it from aging quickly and getting sick quickly, we need the anti-oxidants.. Red fruits, spinach & green leavy vegtables will help with that too.. but just take the pill or some juice that is high in it.

9. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

Is there a pill/vitamin that is (labeled) anti-oxident?

10. sdplusbeauty

sdplusbeauty An angel over my shoulder

NO.. lol.. actually I shouldn't have put the dash in there.. my fault.. I always think anything that has anti, should automatically have a dash.

Antioxidant (correct spelling) lol

There's a lot of free radicals in the air that cause oxidation to our skin, that is aging, or making us sick.