1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Value Board

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Mar 20, 2004.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Dear Rake,
    I'm sorry you're wrong a lot.
    Love,
    Mags

:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  2. rake

rake Need one of these

:blurp:

3. KrisJenkins77

KrisJenkins77 Yes. Yes I was driving.

Is it a certainty that I will be picked on do you think?

4. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

just watch........................

5. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Almost all the descriptions Ive seen of him say he's a zone CB. He MIGHT be able to play man. There are no shut down CBs in this draft, I don't think. That word is tossed around all over the place, but its very rare. Just about any WR Straight was matched against at the Senior Bowl beat him. Also in games. OK played zone, I guess.

Now the descriptions I've seen say he's an outstanding zone CB. And we do play that. Right this minute, I've decided that if Clayton or Evans are there, we have to take them. They are WAY above the other options, and you can't take a so so pick at CB over a steal at WR. But if they're not, I'm looking for Straight. But I do think it will be a slight reach to take him.

Take a look at the descriptions in the Draft Tracker at ESPN. They just went up yesterday. I know that's just one scout, but I've been very impressed with them. The link's in the right hand column on their NFL page. I guess what I look for in a description is that they put negatives. Some (usually amatuerish) descriptions make each prospect sound like a high 1st round pick. Those are just hypes, not scouting reports, IMHO.

6. rake

rake Need one of these

Thanks lde. I'm with you on taking one of the top WRs and at least one is bound to drop to us but Fox and the boys are all about the lines and D and it's easy to believe that they would be content with Moose Smitty and Ricky for ever and ever and ever. IMO there is about a 10% chance that we take a WR in round one . . . even if Clayton Evans or Woods are there.(

7. rake

rake Need one of these

I was hoping that some of you would take a stab at some mocks based on this value board. Who would you guys take and where? If you want to add anyone in a spot that seems right to you then feel free.

8. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

One more thing about Straight. Its being reported various places he ran his 40 in 4.4 or so. I can find any basis for that. Here's from NFL.com. Gil Brandt has a running comment on campus results.

<<Strait (198 pounds), ran his 40s in 4.55 and 4.52, the short shuttle in 4.1 and the three-cone drill 6.65. He had a 35½-inch vertical jump and his broad jump was 9-11>>

That's not fast, but I think its about the same as Ricky Manning ran the year before.

The scouts I like the best are Todd McShay (Scouts, on ESPN), Boomer Rang, (pay only), Tony Pauline, (TFY, also mostly pay), and Dave Te Thomas. Dave Te is at a different site almost every year, and sometimes doesnt do anything at all. I think he's an older guy. He was at CBS SPortsline last year, but they're stuff is not his this year.

Here's McShays description:

<<Grade: 87
    Comments: Mediocre size but has a bigger man's game. Physical, aggressive, tough cover corner. Can play on or off in coverage. Good technique, upper-body strength in press coverage Lack of elite speed gets him in trouble in bump-and-run if he doesn't hold up receivers up at line. Lacks height, leaping ability to defend fade routes against taller receivers. Otherwise extremely gifted in coverage. Quick feet, good leverage in backpedal. Very good burst in, out of pedal. Confident player. Fluid athlete, smooth hips. Can keep up with double moves vs. quicker receivers. Best coming forward. Excellent instincts, great at jumping shorter routes. Excellent ball skills, good playmaker. Good recognition, made very few errors as senior. Aggressive, will jump underneath routes, but does not get caught biting. Experienced player, confident in man coverage and zones. Good speed. Much better acceleration coming forward. Closes quickly when jumping underneath routes. Lacks great acceleration when forced to turn and run, defending deep balls. Might need to spend most of his time in off coverage situations. Aggressive when ball is airborne. Very good hands. Excellent ball skills when play is in front of him. Can't always find balls over shoulders when forced to turn, run. Playmaker. Threat with ball in his hands after interceptions. Lacks size but is strong, aggressive. Attacks line of scrimmage vs. run. Solid open-field tackler. One of best run supporters in 2004 cornerback class. As a junior, Strait had a team-best six interceptions, averaged 29.2 yards per return and finished fourth on the team with 68 tackles. In 2003, he was hobbled by minor injuries but still finished with 80 tackles and three interceptions. Strait has good speed and he has trouble finding the ball in the air. Still, Strait is a complete cornerback. He is strong for his size and one of the most aggressive, effective cornerbacks in this class when supporting the run. He can develop into a solid man-cover corner, but he might be better in zone coverage at the NFL level. Furthermore, he is willing and productive vs. the run and on blitzes. Strait should be one of the top five cornerbacks taken in the draft, likely late in the first round.>>

His grade puts him in a 3 way tie for 39th on their rankings. He has him as the #6 CB, behind Hall, Gamble, Robinson, Poole, and Colclough.

Boomer's CB descriptions aren't out yet. He has him ranked as the 7th CB, behind all those McShay put ahead of him, and also Keith Smith, but those ranking as pretty old. He has him going at #34 in a recent mock, and #38 in his player rankings.

This is TFY's Dec. 2 description. Obviously, he does say he's a shutdown CB, and I have indeed seen a professional description with him as a first rounder.

<<The Good: Terrific cover corner with legitimate shutdown skills. Excellent athlete that easily runs down field with opponents, gets vertical and adjusts to the deep throw, making the pass deflection in contorted positions. Fluid transitioning off the line of scrimmage, displays solid hands going for the pick and works well with the safety. Smooth backpedal, quick breaking on the ball and positions himself nicely against the opponent to defend the pass. Good wherewithal, knows where opposing receivers are on the field and does not blow assignments. Solid special teams player.

The Bad: Falls asleep on occasion and gives up the big play. Losses out to bigger opponents and seemingly intimidated at times. Not overly aggressive and would rather hit than wrap-up ball carriers.

The Skinny: Possessing a lot of underlying cornerback skills, Strait has the size and abilities scouts want in an early pick at corner. While he needs more attention to detail to meet his uppermost level, Strait will be a quick starter and productive player at the next level should he attain the top rung. >>

This description is almost totally opposite McShays, on both the strengths and weaknesses.

Here's TFY's Senior Bowl practice notes: Its not quite as negative as I remembered.

<<Name: Derrick Strait College: Oklahoma Jersey# 2

Ht: 5110 Wt: 189 Hand: 9.5 Arm: 31.75

Weigh In Comments:
    Solid build.

Monday: Consistent and solid all day; did not get beat.

Tuesday: Again, consistent and did not get beat. Technically sound and made few errors. When he did give up the reception he made up for it by stripping the ball from receivers. Solid day.

Wednesday: Struggled early then got injured and sat on the sidelines most of practice. Hurt hip.

Thursday: Good session. Played hurt but toughed it out. Did not look good in drills but once the scrimmage started made several heads-up plays including a beautiful pick.

Overall: Strait, who's been injured all year, saved his best play for 11-on-11 or the scrimmages. He helped himself here in Mobile and took advantage of Dunta Robinson not showing up.>>

They have him as the top CB, and a mid 1st choice.

9. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

Without question, it is what it is.

10. rake

rake Need one of these

Thanks yet again lde. I have to leave on a family matter and they ain't got nun 'em puters down in South Cacalacki. See you guys in a week. When I get back I fully expect to see a shinny new kickass FS and CB in the starter slots for us!

or not:(