1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Torrents

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Stewie, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Stewie

Stewie The Family Guy

Anyone ever download any files using this method? Could someone explain how it works and is it as 'trackable' as Kazaa and similar file sharing methods?

2. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

all i use now. much more reliable downloads than kazza

3. Stewie

Stewie The Family Guy

Hiya Dave!

Can you explain how this transfer method works? I am not familiar with it. :confused:

4. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

I use bittorrent to download. Then just find a torrent site to download from. Sometimes they take a few days and sometimes just a few hours.

5. Toll Booth Willie

Toll Booth Willie Welcome to Wusta!

6. grumpyngroovy

grumpyngroovy Full Access Member

I would be cautious when using BT to DL music or movies. I've used BT for about 6 months now and have seen numerous reports of BT users getting busted by the MPAA and the RIAA, ETC. I would definitely use peerguardian to try to block out the unfriendly peeps (although peerguardian didnt help the peep below). BT was great at first, but I've noticed that as of late with the newer BT clients, many peeps using BT are now choking and snubbing as they download (basically, meaning that they can limit your download from them, but they are downloading without limits from you unless you are choking and snubbing as well).

Here is a panic post from one of the BT forums "nightchilde" :

< Panic Mode : ON >

First off, I'm sorry for posting this here but I've Googled my little heart out and even searched through the archives of a couple bitttorrent lists I'm on. I recieved this email today from Cox, my ISP. I just want to make sure I understand what this means...they ARE going to cut off my internet access within 24 hours, no matter what? And that's it? How the heck can I PROVE I've deleted the file?? (I did, weeks ago) And most importantly, can I still get in deeper trouble over this?? (lawsuit etc.) Well, thanks for any info all you knowledgable people can give me...I was hoping (rather naively, I know) that Peer Guardian would protect me as I don't really download much.

Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C. § 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox is required to "act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, Cox will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24 hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.

Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated. To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. § 512(g)), you have the right to submit to Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following elements:

(a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    (b) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled;
    (c) a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    (d) the subscriberÂ's name, address, and telephone number and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located.

In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10) business days, Cox will reactivate your account.

Sincerely,

The Cox Abuse Team

--- Original Message ---
    Reply-To: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:06:35 -0700
    Subject: *** DMCA Notice [Notice ID: ]

[Part 0 (plain text)]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

Cox Communications
    1400 Lake Hearn

Notice ID:
    Notice Date:13 Oct 2003 22:48:29 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use for the material in the manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification under provisions of section 512(c) of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached report. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement. The Notice ID identifies the copyrighted works by file identification number.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the future.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your response.

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the following address:

Mark Ishikawa
    Chief Executive Officer
    BayTSP, Inc.
    PO Box 1314
    Los Gatos, CA 95031

v: 408-341-2300
    f: 408-341-2399
    [email protected]

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com

Note: The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

This infringement notice contains an XML tag that can be used to automate the processing of this data. If you would like more information on how to use this tag please contact BayTSP.

- ----

Infringed Work: Italian Job, The
    Infringing FileName: The.Italian.Job.DVDRiP.XViD-DEiTY
    Infringing FileSize: 1468203209
    Protocol: BitTorrent
    Infringers IP Address: 24.56.28.22
    Infringer's User Name: None
    Infringement Timestamp: 11 Oct 2003 12:18:40 GMT

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <Infringement xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://mpto.unistudios.com/xml/Infringement_schema.xsd">
    <Case>
    <ID>2555875</ID>
    <Status>New</Status>
    </Case>
    <Complainant>
    <Entity></Entity>
    <Contact></Contact>
    <Address></Address>
    <Phone></Phone>
    <Email></Email>
    </Complainant>
    <Service_Provider>
    <Entity>Cox Communications</Entity>
    <Contact></Contact>
    <Address>1400 Lake Hearn</Address>
    <Email>[email protected]</Email>
    </Service_Provider>
    <Source>
    <TimeStamp>2003-11-10T12:18:40Z</TimeStamp>
    <IP_Address>24.56.28.22</IP_Address>
    <DNS_Name>ip24-56-28-22.ph.ph.cox.net</DNS_Name>
    <Type>BitTorrent</Type>
    <UserName>None</UserName>
    <Number_Files>1</Number_Files>
    <Deja_Vu>No</Deja_Vu>
    </Source>
    <Content>
    <Item>
    <Title>Italian Job, The</Title>
    <FileName>The.Italian.Job.DVDRiP.XViD-DEiTY</FileName>
    <FileSize>1468203209</FileSize>
    <URL>24.56.28.22:6882/The.Italian.Job.DVDRiP.XViD-DEiTY</URL>
    <Type>VIDEO</Type>
    </Item>
    </Content>
    </Infringement>

Hope this helps out,

gng

7. Stewie

Stewie The Family Guy

Holy shit! I didn't think they could track BTs like they do with Kazaa and such.

So much for using that download method!

8. grumpyngroovy

grumpyngroovy Full Access Member

Its actually very easy to track who is downloading what with BT. You can see everyones IP addy when you are connected. I still use BT, I'm just cautious if I DL movies or music with it.

gng

9. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

4 years later and I haven't heard of anyone getting popped. Sounds like grumpgrooveror whatever was mistaken

10. builder

builder membered member

The way I understand it is that BitTorrents are set up so that anyone connected has an IP address that can be found, but it's almost impossible to see what anyone is downloading, UNLESS they are downloading an illegal file from you. At that point, they are also illegally sharing the file. If they are using a dummy file to try and get your IP address, it's not illegal since you aren't downloading copyrighted material.

Even if they track you for sharing a file, they have to download from you the entire file and in essence have committed the same crime they accuse you of.

It's kinda like trying to arrest a hooker when she's got a cop's dick in her mouth and the cop's already paid her the money. They're both guilty.