1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The truth at Clemson

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by wolfpacknation, Mar 10, 2008.

1. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

you don't really pay attention do you?

2. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

You make no sense Brian. That class will need all the help it can get. Good to see they are building a good one for 2008. It'll cover up last year's busted class.

3. LionBear

LionBear Junior Member

Read Tony Barnhart's Mr. College Football Blog at the Atlanta Journal Constitution's web site for today http://http://www.ajc.com/blogs/con.../cfb/entries/2008/03/12/no_tears_for_ra.html. (link might not work)

I honestly don't think Ray Ray or people can complain about this. Looks like he had a few troubled spots with Bowden before. No doubt he has lived a rough life growing up and especially the last few years but he hasn't paid for a dime of school since he's been at Clemson, his brother has over $100,000 waiting on him, he is finishing in August, and he can get a graduate degree for free too! Plus realistically he wasn't going to play at Clemson over the next two years. Just go back to the stat of how many college athletes make in their sport professionally...the percentages are tiny. Just be glad he had the chance to stay on the team his first few years and receive a college degree. The kid is getting one degree for free and has the chance to get another one for free too! Be thankful for the blessings he has already received and has the chance to get! He doesn't have $20,000-$40,000 in loans to pay back when he gets out of school like a lot of people.

4. wolfpacknation

wolfpacknation Full Access Member

I agree with what you are saying about him not paying for his education and not having loans thus far. Also I can't read the article for some reason, so I'm not sure what it says. So I apologize if I say something that's mentioned in the article.
    First, the GA position was offered to him after the report came out about all this. That's why we were saying it was damage control by Clemson. Secondly, the salary paid to a GA is no where near the amount for a scholarship, so he's going to have to pay for finishing his college degree. Otherwise, he could have possibly finished his Masters Degree in the two years he has remaining in football eligibility.

I also understand that this happens at a lot of schools, not just Clemson. But that doesn't make it right. As for the personal tidbits about Ray-Ray being suspended and such, does anyone actually believe that he is trouble? He's ready to graduate in August after three years on campus. Most of the people I know that were trouble weren't exactly completing school early. Most never finished at all. Secondly, read what Davis said in the article. He said Ray Ray wouldn't say anything about this because he's worried Clemson will just try to ruin his reputation. See what's happening now? It's all spin control by Clemson. I just hope Ray Ray keeps his head up, continues on with school and finishes, then goes to work and finds a successful life ahead.

5. LionBear

LionBear Junior Member

Here is the Article by Tony Barnhart of the AJC:

No tears for Ray Ray
    By Tony Barnhart | Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

One of the things you learn after being in this business a while is that stories are rarely as simple as they appear.
    Take the case of Clemson’s Ray Ray McElrathbey.
    The Atlanta native was one of the feel good stories of college football in 2006 when, as a scholarship player at Clemson, he took on the additional task of raising his little brother Fahmarr, who was 11 at the time. Clemson petitioned the NCAA to make an exception its extra benefits rule in order to set up a trust fund to take care of Fahmarr. That trust fund reportedly has over $100,000 in it. Fahmarr has also received care from the families of assistant coaches.
    McElrathbey has been on athletic scholarship for three years and has played very little because of injuries. He is scheduled to graduate this summer, a notable achievement for which he deserves all of the praise in the world.
    Now Clemson and coach Tommy Bowden have made a difficult decision for the good of the program. Ray Ray can remain at Clemson and pursue another degree as a graduate assistant coach but not as a player with a football scholarship. McElrathbey has been promised financial aid by athletics director Terry Don Phillips if he chooses that option. If McElrathbey, who has two years of eligibility remaining, wants to play somewhere else, Clemson will help him find a new school. But the Tigers are four deep with quality tailbacks. McElrathbey is not going to get on the field.
    Bowden has been portrayed as this cold, unfeeling person who is cutting Ray Ray loose simply because Clemson needed the scholarship. It’s an entertaining narrative that pushes all the emotional hot buttons. But it just isn’t that simple.
    The fact is that McElrathbey has been known to have issues with the coaching staff and was less than consistent when it came to attending team functions. The time had come for a change in the relationship for the good of the entire team. Bowden is not going to say anything publicly because he doesn’t want to embarrass the kid. So he’ll take the heat.
    George O’Leary told me a long time ago that coaches have to be willing to tell players things they don’t want to hear. If a player is not going to get on the field, he needs to know that and needs to be given some options. Then it is up to the player to choose the right option for him.
    The easiest thing to do would have been to keep McElrathbey on a football scholarship. No fuss. No muss. No controversy. But it would not have been the best thing for the Clemson football program as a whole.
    In the real world, people have to make tough decisions that are going to be unpopular. This is one of those.

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Full Access Member

Davis has been very vocal in criticising the coaches for years. Sometimes, I've agreed with him. However, in this case, I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Keep in mind that he said most of the year that he planned to go pro after this last season. So, the coaches went out and landed a couple of good running backs who can be productive early, as they should. Then Davis realizes he isn't going to be drafted as high as he thinks, so he decides to return for his senior year, taking a scholarship that had become earmarked for someone else. That's when Clemson became short a scholarship.

7. wolfpacknation

wolfpacknation Full Access Member

Thanks. Still doesn't make sense. But interesting read none the less. All the things highlighted are what I have a problem with. Clemson isn't going to bad mouth the kid, yet Barnhart writes an article telling how he had a bad relationship with the coaches, and how he wasn't at team functions? Interesting. Then the AD says he can get financial aid. Yeah, so can I. But if he doesn't qualify for a Pell Grant, then it's loans. And Pell Grants won't come close to paying for his education like the football scholarship would have.

Makes sense. However, why turn Ray Ray loose? Why not just cut ties with Davis? He's the one who said he's leaving, not RR.

I do see everyone's side on this issue. Some feel it's part of the business. Others don't. I happen to be one that don't think it's part of the "business". I think it's unfair that a team can do this. I do wonder if Ray Ray wanted to attend South Carolina or any school in the ACC, would Clemson allow it? No. Secondly, what if Ray Ray wanted to transfer earlier? Then he has to sit out a year. I'm unsure if he would have to sit out a year if he goes to another DI school this year. But now, Clemson wants nothing to do with him (playing wise), and there is no penalty for it. I just don't agree with it. I think if there's a commitment, both sides should honor it. And when coaches are recruiting they don't tell players, "Hey, sign with us for a year and if it don't work out we'll drop your scholarship." They tell these guys to come be with them for 4 years. Anyway, sorry about that. I'll get off my soap box now.

8. UncOverDukeEasy

UncOverDukeEasy Full Access Member

9. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

KLEMPSON
    KLEMPSON
    KLEMPSON

10. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

LOL...I doubt an objective opinion/voice on this can be found in the entire Southeast, particularly in South Carolina/North Georgia and the ACC.