1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Slot Receiver, and Smith

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Nov 8, 2012.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    this was an interesting topic in the GM thread, and it's going around different boards lately.

I kinda wanted to pop it out to a different thread, for future planning. For one, it depends on what you want your slot guy to be - is it a way of getting a potent guy inside for matchups? Or is it your way of getting the crafty (or, if white, gritty) guy inside that's going to read coverage and run a specific route off a combo tree?

FWIW, I don't see Smith as that guy. I did, as late as 03 when I thought he'd be an ideal slot if we only had someone better (and then watched him become a Pro Bowl guy mid-argument and ate my share of shit for it). I don't see him as being the combo route guy, anyway. He can be effective inside but this offense has guys moving around all the time, on purpose.

If the idea is demotion/physical limitations on Smith, I can't buy that. He's not slow, he's still a good route runner, I don't know that he's ever been much on improvising routes, and he works the sideline well. I don't know that only inside routes will help his longevity honestly.

If the idea is getting two starting WR so Smith plays less, I'd definitely disagree with that, too. This offense doesn't use a 'designated' slot, and even though a guy like Welker is sometimes taking a diminished role, this team with Newton doesn't need to be spread as much as it has been, or more.

here's PFF on the topic:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/08/sig-stat-snapshot-yards-per-route-run-slot-wrs/

LaFell as a big slot isn't that unique - plenty of big, starting WR are in there, just like plenty of quick, starting WR are in there. It's not that surprising that a spread-type team like the Giants are still using Cruz inside. Not quite as many starters on this list as there had been a year or two ago.

2. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

Good stuff. I think Welker made everyone obsessed with the idea of short, shifty slot guys. The Giants haven't had that. Most teams don't.

3. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Steve Smith (USC) was kind of that then his knee went boom.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yup.

5. finleye

finleye como say what?

Manningham? Slot or not, Manningham was their 3rd reciever and was their best deep threat even after Cruz emerged. I guess I classify all 3rd recievers as 'slot' receivers, which has been problematic. I've seen the Saints use Meachum and Henderson in this way, as well. I think Smitty is at his best running after the catch, be it by breaking tackles or simply running away from people. He can stretch the field and makes plays down the field, but I'd prefer to have at least one other legit deep threat on the roster, and this is why I opine for another receiver. Hopefully Gettis can come in a play that role.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Honestly, LaFell is approximating what Moose gave back when Steve was healthy. The only time Gantt-cucker posted huge numbers was when Steve got hurt. And moving Smith into the slot wouldn't at all stop defenses from paying more attention to him. He's best suited to the outside and should stay there, while the rest of the receiving corps is more than adequate. WR really doesn't even rank in the top 10 of concerns for this team.

7. finleye

finleye como say what?

LaFell is great, i have no problem with Lafell. In fact, I wish we had more like him. And while I dont think he is quite as good as Moose, my point is that the receiving core has to be more than Smitty + a good #2 + punt/kick returners. In particular, I would like a deep threat in the mix. Maybe that guy is Gettis, but he will have to prove over the course of multiple seasons that he can stay healthy.

Marty Hurney inherited both Moose and Smitty. In all the drafts since, here are all the pass catchers that were acquired via draft picks in the Marty Hurney era:

Keith Heinrich
    Mike Seidman
    Walter Young
    Keary Colbert
    Drew Carter
    Michael Gaines
    Jeff King
    Dwayne Jarrett
    Ryne Robinson
    Dante Rosario
    Gary Barnidge
    Greg Olsen
    Brandon Lafell
    Armanti Edwards
    David Gettis
    Kealoha Pilares
    Joe Adams

Since 2002, the Panthers have received two legitimate starters (Lafell & Olsen) by investing two 2nd's, four 3rd's, two fourth's, five 5th's, two 6th's, and two 7th's into WR/TE's.

8. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Another Rod Gardner hater.

9. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Since 2002, the Panthers have received two legitimate starters (Lafell & Olsen) by investing two 2nd's, four 3rd's, two fourth's, five 5th's, two 6th's, and two 7th's into WR/TE's.

that's pretty pathetic

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Halfway through the season we have this:

Steve Smith - 38 rec, 630 yards, 70 targets, 54% comp, 9 ypt
    Greg Olsen - 34 rec, 395 yards, 53 targets, 64% comp, 7.5 ypt
    Brandon LaFell - 20 rec, 367 yards, 36 targets, 55% comp, 10.2 ypt
    Mike Tolbert - 12 rec, 108 yards, 17 targets, 71% comp, 6.4 ypt
    Jonathan Stewart - 12 rec, 95 yards, 17 targets, 71% comp, 5.6 ypt
    Louis Murphy - 10 rec, 135 yards, 26 targets, 38% comp, 5.2 ypt

No one else on the team has more than seven targets. This does lend credence to those who think that Louis Murphy is awful, but there also clearly isn't room for a new receiver to make much of an impact. Heck, if anything LaFell needs to be targeted even more. Adding yet another receiver into the mix means taking targets from someone else, and more than just the ones that go to Murphy. So where's the need for another receiver? I don't see it.