1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The plot thickens

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by T_Schroll, Apr 18, 2002.

1. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

"The Saints would likely give up both first rounder this year, along with a 3rd round choice in 2002 and their 1st round pick in 2003 to move up. Mueller has been quoted in local media as saying he will do whatever necassary to move up and get his man."

Man, I'd take it.

3. Piper

Piper Guest

I'd take the deal. Three first rounders, including two this year, and a third. Yes.

We won't get Buchanon, but it's not impossible. We could take a number of players. We could do worse than Wendall Bryant, William Green, Rumph, Marc Columbo, and Antwaan Randle El.

Or any number of combos.

For that deal, I'll take it. It may be one of the few I would.

4. T_Schroll

Got to agree Piper, I'd be all over this one. It gives us picks of 13, 25, 34, 67, 85, 100, and 137 in the first five rounds. Plenty of options for us that may generate more trade interest especially in the 3rd round. Those two picks alone may be enough to move back into the late 2nd for some one who falls. The only downside is missing out on both Jammer and Buchanon though. But it does put us in postion to probably grab either Sheppard or Rumph.

5. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Guest

Hmm

Not to mention the cost of the number #2 overall pick. This team isn't one player away. Draft smart with multiple first round selections and then we can make some noise

6. Piper

Piper Guest

We might get Buchanon, teams have got to think about his size.

Remember Fletcher last year? Buchanon could easily fall, particuarly if Joey Harrington slides to 10.

But if not, I ain't crying. 13 is a good spot. Some really good players have taken a fall, based on some workouts.

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

it doesn't make sense from the saints standpoint. what they need is those two first rounders to get stallworth and an offensive lineman (after losing roaf, naeole and ackerman -- and only gaining riley). they aren't really dying for help at defensive end, but that's on their board.

it doesnt make sense that they'd go up that high and miss out on the stud receiver. i mean, the value just absolutely is not there.

8. Piper

Piper Guest

Their ID is their pass rush. A lot of that left with Johnson and Glover. Howard is pretty damn good, and they still have Hand, but after that, not much is there. I can't call them the best front 4 in football anymore.

They could get that reciever or lineman in round 2. And they regain some identity, which has left them with those 4 departures.

9. T_Schroll

With this deal we could take

13-T J Duckett RB Michigan State

25-Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina

34-Anthony Weaver DT Notre Dame

67-Sheldon Brown CB South Carolina

82-Rocky Calmus LB Oklahoma

100-Martin Bibla G Miamii

137-Freddie Milons WR-Alabama

174-Joaquin Gonzales T Miami

213-Micheal Collins G Wake Forest

258-Tim Stratton TE Purdue

Overview-We get a true franchise back in Duckett, Edwards is on par with former teammate John Abraham, they carry the tweener rap which is a load of shit. Weaver gives us Gilbert's replacement. Sheldon Brown is a good corner, those that haven't seen him are in for a suprise. Good speed, cover skills and can bring the wood. Calmus makes plays at LB, speed may be an issue though. Bibla could challenge Nesbit(who'll eventually be moved to center anyway) and will replace Donnalley. Milons gives us a deep threat. Gonzales, it's about time we brought in some one to challenge Terry and provides good depth otherwise.
    Collins, suddenly we have real depth at guard and Jordan knows he has to improve or be gone. Stratton, decent TE also a long snapper if not mistaken. Frees us up to axe Kyle and actually have some one that doesn't only long snap.

The only thing I might otherwise look for is a FB in rounds 5-6. I like Baxter from New Mexico , but he may be gone just before we pick in 5 and may be a reach in 4 unless we trade down a little. Charles Stackhouse and Will Bartholomew may be other options in rounds 5 and 6.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2002
  10. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

stop getting me excited. if the panthers had any balls, they'd trade down and collect picks.

there's great value in this draft. i hope they aren't locked in on one of those 2 guys.

i'd take javon walker at 34 to get another starter. those first thre picks (four?) need to be starters -- not groomed replacements. though i agree that gilbert's replacement needs to be found.