1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Panther Plan 2023

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by stirs, Mar 11, 2023.

1. CoachMcFly

CoachMcFly Full Access Member

I say announce Young is the pick to entice Houston to jump up and feed us a few picks.

Stroud is the better choice, IMO...might as well play the game.

Then again, Houston might already be playing that game.

2. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

You don't need to announce it to make it known that Young is the guy. It may be better to keep it up in the air because then Houston may be more likely to pounce if they've decided one is "the guy".

3. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

Just start holding talks w Indy and it will further mess up Houstons mind, then they might tempted to take out all second guessing

4. CoachMcFly

CoachMcFly Full Access Member

I was saying Stroud is the guy...but say Young is...

At least, I HOPE Stroud is the choice!?

5. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I don't think we really go wrong with either, although I think Stroud has the better chance at a long career.

CoachMcFly and Schwantz34 like this.
  6. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I don't know if my heart could take it watching the QB constantly running around trying to find throwing lanes or trying to see coverages.

7. Schwantz34

Schwantz34 Full Access Member

If you mean Young he managed just fine seeing things in college. I have durability concerns with him but he's a very good QB.

Him or Stroud (who I'd prefer) and I think we're set.

8. dig-it

I wonder if Mayfield had the batted passes issue in college? His numbers and success in his college career was pretty damn good as well, but after seeing him perform in the Panthers' backfield I don't see where his success came from and Baker is 6'1", a good 3 inches taller than middle school size Bryce.
    Then again, I'm sure Young could have success in the NFL because he is just so darn special.
    He'll be a regular water bug back there.

9. dig-it

I can see a remake of the Adam Sandler Waterboy movie.
    It'll be the NFL story of Bryce Young and it'll be Waterboy II - Waterbug starring Kevin Hart.
    The Rock could be in it too...

upload_2023-4-1_9-23-6.jpeg

10. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

Many guys are great in college, but will their game transfer to the pros? This is what coaches and GM's get paid to evaluate.

As I mentioned in the QB thread yesterday, the reason I think it will be Stroud and no trade down, is that size matters. Some of the analytics now say that Young compensated his size by very deep drops in his college games. It worked well for him, but if he did that in the pros consistently, he would be outside the back of the pocket and tackles would have a very difficult time protecting him.

There is no doubt that he is one of the smartest and coolest customers in the last 10 years, but you can't teach size.

Stroud is 5" taller and has really good pocket presence. Can he process as quickly? Did his WR's get great separation helping his game? Did he have 5 star Olineman giving him a good amount of time? Maybe so. Would he even be in the top 2 if not for how he handled GA in college playoffs? I doubt it.

All this has to be sorted out by the coaches and GM. But at end of day, the size part is what tips the scales in my opinion.

For fun, I just did one of those nutty draft simulators with a lot of trade downs and taking Hooker, my team was LOADED, haha