1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The official

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jun 1, 2005.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

June 1 cuts list.

Nobody yet. But it's rainy, I'm on my 3rd giant coffee, and I'm bored.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

For those who are absolutely set on getting a receiver, Johnnie Morton should be cut today, but I don't see us signing anyone anyway. The only way we make a move is if someone gets injured.

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Morton sucks. I'd hold out till Gardner's cut. He better fits what's needed and still has enough upside that he can get better.

4. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

We shouldn't be too happy with what we've got depth-wise. Pat Y. does have a point:

Posted on Wed, Jun. 01, 2005

COMMENTARY | PAT YASINSKAS

'Fine' not quite factual for Panthers

The next time the Carolina Panthers say they're just fine at wide receiver, they should think of Matt Willig.

After the abrupt retirement of right tackle Adam Meadows in training camp last year, the Panthers made a habit of saying they weren't worried about the position and pointed to Willig. The problem was the Panthers weren't anywhere near fine at right tackle. Although Willig worked hard and was a genuinely nice guy, he was way past his prime and he wasn't that good when he was younger.

The weakness on the right side threw the entire offense off kilter. The Panthers predictably ran to the left most of the time and the tight ends often were forced to stay in to help Willig in pass protection.

At least on paper, that problem has been fixed. They're moving Jordan Gross from left to right tackle, they signed Mike Wahle to play left guard and they have high hopes for Travelle Wharton, who will make the transition from guard to left tackle.

But the Panthers need to do a little patchwork elsewhere. At receiver, they really are fine with Steve Smith and Keary Colbert as the starters, and they have a nice situational player in Ricky Proehl. But the last thing they want to do is find themselves in a situation where Proehl, 37, ends up as another Willig.

Proehl is excellent as a third-down receiver and in the red zone. But his age would make it difficult for him to step into a starting role if Smith or Colbert were injured for an extended period. The fact is the Panthers don't have a sure-fire solution if they need another receiver to step into the starting lineup.

They talk a lot about Drew Carter, and he could end up being the answer. But it's a stretch to even pencil him into that role. He has lots of potential, but he missed his rookie season with a knee injury and has a history of knee problems. Maybe he will stay healthy and catch on fast. But the team can't count on that.

They need an insurance policy and despite what they say, the lessons learned on the offensive line last year likely will prompt them to bring in another receiver with experience.

Johnnie Morton, Peter Warrick and Rod Gardner soon should be salary-cap casualties, and the Panthers, who weren't impressed with the early crop of free agents, would have to at least consider making a move.

5. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Aaron '************' Boone.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Don't buy the hype. I can't see Gardner getting cut no matter what the rumormongers are saying. He may not be living up to his potential, but it's not like the Redskins are loaded at receiver and this is the last year on his contract anyway. For the record, it doesn't look like Peter Warrick will be cut either. Even if one of them did get released, some other team would undoubtedly pay them more than we could offer.

As for Yas's article, few teams in the league have someone ready to step in right away should a starting WR get injured. Most teams, like us, have a third guy who really isn't suited for starting duty, while fourth and anything lower is taken up by people contributing on special teams. Another thing in our favor is that WR has one of the lowest injury rates of any position. But like I said, if someone got injured, then we'd sign an unemployed veteran.

7. Rumpeltiltspin

Rumpeltiltspin Dixie Normous

We always have the Hankton.

But I guess he'd be another Willig too.

8. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Rumors that Hankton won't make the cut - he was Scotty O'Brien's guy, and Scotty is gone.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Hankton shouldn't make the cut. I liked his aggressiveness a couple of years ago, but now he costs entirely too much and I've seen him create more penalties than plays on special teams.

10. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

:ylsuper: