1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

THE HEELS ARE BACK, BABY!

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by LarryD, Feb 17, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

For all the doubters, North Carolina showed why they are the greatest school in the history of college basketball.

With their backs most definately against the wall -- facing the possibility of wearing the visitor's jersey in the ACC tournament play-in game -- the courageous 2002 Tar Heels flahed their long-domant muscle today, thumping perennial conference powerhouse Florida State at the Dean Dome before hundreds of not-so-beaten-down-looking fans.

Point guard Adam Boone proved why he is widely considered to be the favorite for this year's Naismith Award, blistering the unlucky Seminoles for a career-high 27 points. It was an applause-worthy performance that did not go unnoticed by Head Heel, Matt Doherty. "I almost didn't notice that Adam was scoring all those points," said the greying Alfred E. Neuman.

"You just don't put on the uniform and go out and beat any Steve Robinson team," added a giddy Boone. "It just doesn't happen without a lot of preparation, hard work and luck. Today we were damn lucky!"

Robinson said that his sub-.500 Seminoles would leave Chapel Hill with their heads held high. "That's a hell of a ballclub over there. I don't know why everyone keeps knocking them. It's not like that team is 7-16 or anything."

When a reporter told Robinson that today's victory was, indeed, just the seventh of the season for the Tar Heels, he added, "Oh. Damn. I should probably be fired then."

Monte Cummings scored a bunch of points for 10-13 FSU while Kris Lang continued to look goofy for the Tar Heels.

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

bitter bitter man... LOL! GO HEELS!

3. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Larry, spoken like a true FSU fan! At least Matt can go home and sleep inside tonight instead of the dog house. FSU is a baseball school, see below from the HP Enterprise.

Baseball Fever At FSU

Florida State's basketball team visits North Carolina today, but there is no question as to what is the most popular spectator sport in Tallahassee at this time of the year.

The Seminoles' baseball team drew more than 14,000 for last weekend's three-game series against Stanford. The games on Friday and Saturday were sold out. FSU officials believe Sunday's game would have sold out as well, but 1,200 tickets were held for students. Many found the 1 p.m. first pitch too early after a night of partying.

A three-game series against No. 5 Arizona State concludes today. Less than 250 tickets for each game were available late in the week.

A good indication of how baseball and basketball rate at FSU came last Sunday, when the baseball game against Stanford and the basketball game against N.C. State started at the same time. The basketball crowd at the Leon County Civic Center was announced at 4,926. The baseball crowd was listed at 4,618.

FSU figures tickets distributed into determining basketball attendance, as opposed to the actual number of fans in the seats. That includes season tickets sales. The baseball crowd was determined by an actual turnstile count.

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

absolutely, i'd take baseball any day over basketball. an fsu-miami series is right up there with the football clashes.

thats why i have sunshine network onthe dish -- so i can watch the noles play baseball. i saw the win over arizona state the other day. awesome.

like ive said before, if fsu ever wins the college world series, cash out your 401(k) because armageddon is upon us.

5. Quick Willie

Quick Willie Guest

Yea, look like my Heels are back;) Bring on ahh.....Ohio, yea that's right, bring on Ohio.

:D :D TAR HEEL TO THE BONE :D :D

6. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Yep Larry, I plan on taking in an FSU game when they come up to play Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, March 29-31.

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Do you people realize you're talking about UNC & FSU basketball? What a waste of board space.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I realize along witha LOT of other people that Carolina sucks this year... I'm a Tarheel fan and this has been a rough year for us... you have to let us have this one.