1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

THE DRAFT FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Apr 7, 2021.

1. rake

rake Need one of these

Want to start by getting zero’d in on the top tier talent and the top half of the draft (according to talent) -

These are the guys that “should be” the top picks, NOT just by need but by the overall projections of existing talent, performance, AND consensus likelihood of NFL capability.

TOP TIER -
    Lawrence QB 1
    Sewell OT 1
    Chase WR 1
    Parsons LB 1
    Pitts WR 2 (will not be TE)
    Surtain CB 1
    Smith WR 3 (perishable?)

The rest of the top half -
    Paye DE 1
    Waddle WR 4
    Wilson QB 2
    Fields QB 3
    JOK LB 2
    Slater OT 2
    Darrisaw OT 3
    Farley CB 2
    (alternately; Collins DE/OLB 2 or Lance QB 4)

Clearly not all of those projected top players will panout as being worthy of where they are picked. Yes, there are always a handful of guys who “should have” been taken in the top half of the 1st but their talent is overlooked. .. mostly just luck in landing those.

QBs #2 and #3 have the talent of a Darnold (picked #3) and more BUT will either make the transition . .. Darnold hasn’t come anywhere close (yet) to where he was picked. It’s so unlikely that they will ever be a top tier NFL QB, or even consistently be a positive impact I almost wish that no QB could be drafted in the top half of rd 1. Aside from Lawrence there are at least 15 other players that will more quickly become positive impacts on their respective teams. . .
    Let’s make sure to pick one of those. )

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  2. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

My favorite scenario is the one where the Patriots or Bears overpay us to trade up to 8 and take whoever QB5 works out to be.

rake likes this.
  3. rake

rake Need one of these

I have had Parsons at the top of my wish list but depth being a factor . . ...
    7 or 8 possible stud LBs that would be instant upgrades

JOK
    Collins
    Davis
    Cox
    Bolton
    Moses
    Surratt

Any of the above would be a big boost and paired with one of the Day 2 “tall rangy corners” the D would be improved.

4. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

I think we need to address the O-Line with one of the first two picks. Parsons would also be a luxury pick right now. Surratt would be great if he falls to the third.

Schwantz34 likes this.
  5. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

With the Panthers LBs how would Parsons be a luxury pick?

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

They went out and got Denzel Perryman and the way things are shaping up we're going to be in a hybrid front where Reddick, Burns, and Chinn all take snaps from a LB position. The only place we were weak was in the middle, and that's why we got Perryman. We need a CB far more than we do a LB, and we need an OT worse than either of them.

7. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Denzel Perryman has missed almost a third of his games because of injury.

Not sure I'd want to rely on someone with that kind of injury history, but we'll see.
    I agree on the OT.

8. rake

rake Need one of these

If a few teams that are slated to pick ahead of us go braindead and Sewell is there at 8 it's a done deal. However, that's unlikely and I hope we don't just take Slater out of desperation for a OT. Better to take a top 10 player and if Parsons or Surtain are still there then it should be done.

BTW - As much as I would love to have Pitts here I would bet that he gets snagged before 8 too

9. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Tepper and co will likely double down and take neither if available.

10. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

I am sure we have put out the word now that we will consider trading down.

That will make someone want to jump in front of Denver for a QB, but not sure NE will do it. They used to collect draft picks, not give them away. But, they also never spent 300 million up front in free agency either, so who knows.

If we sit at 8, there will be a really good player there for us. Dropping to 12, we can still get Slater, dropping to 15, not sure who it might be