1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The 2023 Draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by dig-it, Oct 22, 2022.

1. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

2. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

3. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

FA is its own animal. Who gets released to save money and who do we pick up. Without knowing that, here is what we do know.

Reich: Great mind for offense
    Staley: Great RB coach, transformed guys into beasts
    Capers: 34 guy all the way
    Evero: Fangio protege who runs 34 base
    McCown: Really good coach, linked just a taste of his scouting process in QB thread.

So what will we need in upcoming draft to satisfy all these coaches?

QB: Everyone knows we need one. Reich said as much and listed several things he wanted to see from his QB. Will we be able to draft one of the top couple of guys? Have to give up the farm to do it which is not smart since we have several holes to fill. What is Corral situation? Would we bring back a guy like Darnold on a 2 year deal while we groom his replacement?

RB: Staley does a great job with making a middle of the road guy very good, so no use paying tons of money to any RB in FA.

Capers/Evero: Here is where we need a couple things. Brown would be a waste to run at NT in my opinion. Make him a DE like AJ Watt or something in that vein and let him make some noise. Need a NT in this draft and work him and B Roy at that spot. Middle round guy like Mazi Smith might do. ILB and OLB. Not sure what we have on the roster than can excel at this point beyond Luvu and Burns. Drew Sanders from Arkansas would be a great guy to pick up in the 2nd.

TE: We have the blocking TE covered. I feel like Reich is going to want to find his Travis Kelce in the draft, so we will see. Not sure one exists in 2023. Maybe the Miami FA will work.

Anyway, lots of things to talk about as the coaching staff and thus the schemes come into focus. Will be fun 3 months ahead. I feel much better about the coaching staff now, than the college guys we dealt with over the last few years

4. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

What makes McCown a good coach? He's only coached at high school level. Guys got theoretical chops as a long term backup "bounce ideas off of guy for a young QB"

5. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

Houston Texans interviewed him a couple years back for HC. Yes, he is recognized as a great coach. Read up a bit and see what people that have played with him and he has mentored.

6. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

The same texans that ended up with David culley? Come on man

7. stirs

stirs Full Access Member

Ok, have it your way. Reich is an idiot and hired a high school coach

8. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Yeah I have to admit that I've never heard anyone mention McCown as a good coach.

9. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

McCown spent the last few years of his playing career as a glorified QB coach, so I get it, but I'm never thrilled about handing a position coach job to a guy who's never officially done it.

We tried this with Proehl and he burned himself out. Coaching in the NFL is a hellish grind.

10. stirs

stirs Full Access Member