1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Stanley Cup Finals- game 7

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by solarte1969, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

thats your own ignorance

2. sockittome16

sockittome16 Full Access Member

Let's be honest, people in Raleigh didn't even know they had a hockey team till the 2nd round of the playoffs. People act like Raleigh is a hockey hot bed or something. Hockey is the #4 best pro sport in our country, and the #5 pro sport in the south behind NASCAR. Saying this is bigger than UNC, Duke or N.C. State's national titles is blasphemy. Everyone will disappear from the slightly bigger (yet still small) fanbase the Hurricanes won over with the Stanley Cup, but being a Duke, UNC, Wake, or State basketball fan burns through you till the day you die. Panthers in the Super Bowl was way bigger than the Stanley Cup Finals.

3. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

please excuse yourself from the hockey forum, thanks in advance

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I won't weigh in on what is the more worthy accomplishment but I do take exception to Shitstains dismissal of the Canes

5. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

It may just be my ignorance. On the other hand, it may just be your homerism for the Canes.

6. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

Respectfully, Bucko, I once again, disagree. Love them or hate them, Raleigh knew very well that they had a hockey team, all season long, as they were among the best teams in the NHL all year long.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  7. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

I'm not trying to imply that Raleigh didn't know about the Canes. Just that they didn't capture the interest of large numbers of people outside of Raleigh until the Finals started.

I hate that this has turned into me kind of bashing the Canes, that's not what I'm trying to do. I just don't think last night was the greatest moment in sports in Carolina history.

8. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

All I know is I went to a game about 3 months ago on a weeknight - figuring I could pick up another ticket for my daughter (cheaply) when she decided last minute she wanted to go. turns out the game was sold out except for single tickets in the $85.00 range.

9. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

ah, clarity.

I do think it was the biggest sports moment in North Carolina history (overall, and not taking anything away from the colleges).

I will agree with you that the large number of folks talking pucks now from outside Raleigh are new to the bandwagon. My only hope is that if things get rough next season, they don't decide to jump off.

10. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Good moment, great moment, but hardly the greatest. Any one of the NCAA championships of Duke, UNC, or NCSU top the Stanley Cup in terms of importance to Carolinians.