1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sportsline SAYS........

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Apr 2, 2002.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Most Underrated
    Josh Scobey
    Position: Halfback
    College: Kansas State
    Height: 5-11.3
    Weight: 218

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Called by the coaching staff the best worker the program ever had…Hits the holes quickly, showing an explosive bounce coming out of his stance…Finds the rush lanes instantly, displaying the cutback ability to redirect when the lanes are clogged… Hits hard between the tackles, cradling the ball securely while running at a low pad level… Shows the body lean and stiff-arm ability to punish the initial tackler…Very difficult to bring down in isolated coverage and constantly keeps his feet churning to drag the pile… Has the deep acceleration to elude in the open…Effective receiver on dump-offs…Catches with hands properly extended and has large, soft hands to haul in the high pass…Very willing blocker who will do anything asked of him to help the team…Has the power to easily face up to the opponent in pass protection…Always seems to get a piece of the pass rusher when staying back to pick up the blitz…Well-respected team leader who spends countless hours in the film room…Shows incredible balance and hip swerve changing direction…Runs with instinctiveness and authority, showing a very tough and competitive nature.
    Negatives: Despite his quickness, is more of a North-South runner, as he appears to gather himself before turning the corner…Not called upon much as a pass catcher, so evaluating his route running ability was difficult…Needs to pick and slide with more fluid movements when bouncing to the outside…Has good acceleration, but does not show that second gear needed to break for long runs in the open.

CAREER NOTES
    Called by the coaching staff the finest recruit in the last decade…The former junior college standout (Northeastern Oklahoma A&M), quickly established himself as one of the country's elite running backs…Despite playing only two seasons for the Wildcats, he ranks seventh on the career-record chart in scoring with 186 points, fifth in rushing with 1981 yards and third with nine 100-yard performances…His 31 rushing touchdowns set a school career-record, breaking the old mark of 26 by Jonathan Beasley (1996-2000) and Eric Hickson (1994-98)…His 31 overall touchdowns tied the KSU all-time record, first set by Ralph Graham (1931-33) and matched by Mack Herron (198-69).
    REMINDS ME OF… Olandis Gary, Denver Broncos. Much faster than Gary, but he is a power back with explosive acceleration.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL… If the Carolina Panthers don't go for a halfback in the first round, look for a first day surprise as they pounce on Scobey.

Hmmmmmmm.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

repeat after me: Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

[​IMG]

Off The Gridiron With Senior Josh Scobey

Senior Josh Scobey is a relentless runner on the gridiron and the power he receives to dazzle fans comes from a faith he treasures with a passion.
    Nov. 29, 2001

Manhattan, Kan. -

by Luke Scoby, Kansas State Sports Information student assistant

In Josh Scobey's eyes, the Kansas State Wildcats are undefeated this season. This is a somewhat outlandish statement considering the football team stands at 5-5 and needs a victory today over the Missouri Tigers to qualify for its ninth-straight bowl game.

But Scobey, a devout believer in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, truly believes the Wildcats have won every battle because his religion has taught him the inherent power to take on all of life's challenges and win.

"Regardless of the changes the team has gone through this year and the adversity we have faced, I can still say I am happy because we are fighting a battle every Saturday, and regardless of the score, I truly believe we win every battle," Scobey said. "I also truly believe that I, personally, win every battle and challenge that I am faced with."

Scobey has followed the Buddhist religion since his mother introduced it to him at the age of five. Scobey's mother, who was a Christian before she became Buddhist, became involved with the religion and immediately began seeing some positive changes in her life.

"My mom's life did a complete change," Scobey said. "A lot of things started happening in her life that weren't happening before. Her life became enlightened."

It is the promise of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism that its members can attain a state of freedom and unshakable happiness while creating harmony with others. Scobey reaches this enlightenment by chanting twice every day - once in the morning and once in the evening.

The words that Scobey chants are "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo," where each word has a different meaning, but collectively the words are the name of the Mystic Law that governs life eternally throughout the universe. This ritual also includes recitation from two significant chapters of the Lotus Sutra, which is the English translation of the original teachings of Buddhism.

In the chant, "Nam" means devotion to this law, which awakens the enlightenment inside believers. "Myoho" means Mystic Law, the mysterious nature of life, which the mind cannot comprehend or words express. "Renge" represents the simultaneity of cause and effect, and "Kyo" symbolizes the sound or teaching of how the Buddha has traditionally instructed.

"I chant for happiness," Scobey said. "What's the main focus of life? It is to be happy. If one's not happy, then what is the point of life? We can have all the materialistic things in the world, and we can have all the money in the world, but if we are not happy inside, then what's the point of it?

"Chanting for my happiness is like chanting that I can be successful on the football field and that I can make a career out of this someday."

Scobey's religious mentor, Boston Snowden, also prays frequently for Scobey's success both on and off the football field. Scobey and Snowden met at a Buddhist meeting when Scobey was in high school. Scobey said that from the first time they met, he knew Snowden was going to be the kind of person he could look to for guidance and support.

"I pray for his success, health and well-being, and I am here to guide him in the right direction," Snowden said. "I try to set a good example for him by my life. Buddhism is a religion that is about winning. Buddhism is strict in the sense that our purpose is to bring the best out of ourselves and our environment.

"Josh works very hard, and in Buddhism we believe that if we are going to accomplish anything, not only do we have to have faith, but we have to take action. Josh is a man of action."

Scobey's religion has the single-largest effect on his football career, but following close behind is his family and the support and encouragement he receives from his mother. Scobey said that every time he steps on the football field he wants to have the best game of his life just for her because of the long road she has brought him down to get where he is today.

"My mother is my best friend and No. 1 fan," Scobey said. "She is my everything. Every time I step into that end zone and every time I carry that ball, I think about her."

As part of his daily prayer and chanting ritual and before every game, Scobey prays to his Gohonzon, which is the object of devotion for Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Scobey's Gohonzon consists of a shrine of very fine paper that has Japanese writing on it. Scobey compared it to scriptures of the Bible. During this time of prayer and meditation, Scobey lights candles and incense as part of his ritual.

"Regardless of what game it is, I always ask for it to be the greatest game of my career," Scobey said. "That is how good I want to be. I want each game to be the greatest game I have ever played in my life.

"Praying keeps me focused, and it enlightens me. I pray to see the holes better. I pray for the offensive line to block and open up big holes for me. Just like anyone else would sit down and pray, I sit down and ask the Gohonzon to protect me. Any time I sit down and pray to my Gohonzon, I get answers just like you get answers."

Scobey knows that living in the spotlight is a chance for him to spread his faith to other people, and this is something he will continue to do after his football career has come to a close. He says that his practice and faith have prepared him for any challenges that come his way in the future, whether it involves football or not.

"Football is a small part of my life," Scobey said. "After football is over, I have a full life ahead of me. There are a lot of successful people who practice this religion, and I plan on being the next famous Buddhist and spreading it around the world."

3. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Well, he won't shoot his pregnant girlfriend, but can he run and not break?

4. p2k1f

p2k1f Guest

sounds like he will be a great addition to any community he arrives in.

5. reb

reb 1riot1reb

hey Larry that nam ney hey ray hing gay quo just cracked me up. I was seeing this chic out in San Fran. in another life and she was into that. Made me go to a meeting before she'd give me the pussy. There was one guy who stood up and testified about out running the cops in his car because he was chanting that over and over as fast as he could. LMAO

6. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

damn, we need to draft this dude then!

7. VOR

VOR Guest

Zen in Charlotte I don't know this is more of a gold nugget rolex kind of town. The energy flows may be disturbed.