1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

softball stories

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by LarryD, Mar 6, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i thought there was one in there.

2. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

:) Must have overlooked it the first time. Good stories---BomBat especially :)

see if you can find anything on "Crusher"
    real name --Rick Sheer or Shear may have an s on the end.

3. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

This is everything that Putt was talking about on Sunday.

Crusher is mentioned in one of the articles Putt

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

nope. nothing more.

5. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

Rick "Crusher" Scherr

There was no better player when it was time to show your stuff than Rick "Crusher" Scherr. The Crusher has been MVP of 5 World tournaments. He is in the USSSA Hall of Fame. He is the All Time leader for most home runs in the USSSA World Series. The Crusher was one of the most feared hitters of all time. There wasn't a ball park that the Crusher could not hit it out of. Known for his pony tail and long beard he could have played with the band ZZ Top. Scherr, who played for Taylor Brothers of Texas, Howard's/Western Steer and Superior/Apollo, has nine ASA selections, seven USSSA selections and an ASA second team. He is a five-time MVP -- in the 1984 ISA, the 1981 ASA and USSSA, the 1983 ASA and the 1984 ASA.

In 1989 at the USSSA World Series, that was held at Omaha's baseball stadium where they play the NCAA finals, the Crusher hit two balls in a row on the very last step on top of the bleachers in left field. The ball had to travel at least 450 feet. Another good point about the Crusher was his will to win. He definitely got fired up to play.. He was one of the original bad boys in softball. He did not take any crap from no one. He also used a 14 inch barrel bat. Crusher led the Steermen from Denver, North Carolina to the ASA Super Crown in 1991 and what he did was literally dominate the tournament. There are those times when certain softball players have dominated the game for an entire weekend, or maybe an entire season. He was that type of player. In 1985 he set the record for most home runs in a season with 451 for the Howard's team. The crusher was a one man wrecking crew.

6. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

w

7. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

r

8. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

Drinking again---2 at the time---I believe this is Crusher cleaned up a little. Can't blow it up enough to tell for sure but the 2 drinks make me believe it is.

9. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

Thank this man for the Bombat --This is "Left Turn" Don

Howard's Furniture was one of the most famous softball teams of all time.. They were one of the few teams that won the Triple Crown of softball. In 1980 Campbell's Carpet won all 3 legs of the crown and Howards came back to win the Triple Crown in 1981. "Stan the Man" Harvey and "Left Turn Don" Ardnt were the nuts and bolts of that crew. They were the anchor for the Steermen for a number of years. They were the first players to hit over 200 homeruns year in and year out. Stan held the record for one year when he hit 290 home runs in 1977. There were a lot of great players on Mr. Howards softball teams over the years but it was Stan and Don that put Howards on the map. They later brought Crusher on board from a Texas team. In 1981 they helped win the prestigous NSPC that was held in Cleveland, Ohio. Don who swung right handed had one of the smoothest swings and Stan who swung from the left hander side was called the sweet swinger by Herman Rathman. They had perfected swings and you kknew that it was from hard work. A lot of batting practice is what Stan Harvery told me one time.

10. BushMaster

BushMaster space cowboy (R)

Dean West

I lived across the street from Dean West when I was a kid in the late 60s. Man those Pharr Yarn Reds were great teams back then.

Another guy that played on the reds with Dean was J.D. McDonald. Best shortstop I've seen in my life. This is his bio from the ASA hall of fame.

Starting his softball career at 14, J.D. McDonald ultimately became one of the slickest fielding shortstops in the United States between 1955-1979 playing for the McAdenville, NC Reds. McDonald played in 22 national championships, and earned All-America honors 10 times as the Reds won six Major Industrial Slow Pitch national titles. Although the 5-foot-7, 147-pound McDonald was better known for his stellar defense, he could also handle himself at-bat and was a consistent .500 plus hitter. In the 1974 national championship he batted .636. As the first player from North Carolina elected to the Hall of Fame, McDonald played in an era when slow pitch was suited for smaller players who could run, field, hit and throw. The bats were wooden, the balls weren’t as lively as they are today and 15 to 20 runs per game was the norm. And the teams didn’t hit home runs by the dozen, so speed and defense were stressed. In his Hall of Fame acceptance speech, McDonald give credit to his sponsor and to his former teammates. “ If it hadn’t been for Mr. Pharr, I wouldn’t have had the exposure of having played in all parts of the country. We had some great teams that won many national championships. But I was one member of those teams. I had some great teammates during all the years of playing softball and I want them to know that they share a part of this honor with me.” In December of 1986, McDonald died at age 50.