1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Silent Reflux

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine Forum' started by sadic1, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sadic1

sadic1 Full Access Member

I was really freaking out because I had a sore throat I just couldn't seem to kick. I figured I was going to die of throat cancer or something. Turns out the doctor said I've got a type of acid reflux they call "silent reflux", which doesn't necessarily come with a whole bunch of heartburn. 2 days of Prilosec OTC and it's already feeling better. Damn, I'm getting old. I'm drawing the line at the whole "sleep apnea/CPAP machine thing" if it ever comes to it...

2. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Don't knock the CPAP, man. That thing whips it. :ylsuper:

3. sadic1

I just hope that if I ever get sleep apnea that I get REALLY bad. Dying in my sleep would be a dream come true, but being tired all the time must suck.

4. plutosgirl

plutosgirl It's a Liopleurodon!!!

Glad you are feeling better, I've never heard of that- interesting.

I get a sore throat all the time but I'm figuring it's allergies. This time of year is bad for that. I often sound like Bea Arthur, (phrase stolen from Honeygirl after a night on the town with Fred), but I haven't really thought about it being something more serious until now.

Thank you, for that.

Keep us updated if that doesn't work, I'm actually surprised you would take the medication :D.

5. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I had something similar but it was after getting the flu. I never thought the damn sore throat would go away. It felt like my throat was ripping when I sneezed.

6. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

isn't that the name of a chuck norris movie?

7. sadic1

Sorry. ;)

I don't have much history of allergies, but I had some bronchial/throat problems when I was little ("croup" or something), and my pediatrician said my tonsils were a little large for my throat and recommended I get them out, which I didn't, so a lot of my routine cold type illnesses manifest in my throat. When this one didn't go away, I scared the hell out of myself on the internet, of course, because everyone in the world gets throat cancer nowadays (or so they make it seem).

I steer clear of medication whenever possible, but when I really need it I'll take it.