1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Shouldn't Fox & Co shoulder more of the blame?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Sep 12, 2006.

1. rake

rake "The greatest prayer is patience"

our team got a very bad report card and I would tend to agree with this guy (whoever wrote this) -

http://sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/CAR/9653673

excerpt from article grading the Panthers vs Atlanta:
    >>>COACHING
    F -- Maybe Fox should take his team back down to training camp for those extra two days of practice. The big question here is how can you have a month to prepare for a division rival and come out and play as badly as the Panthers did on Sunday. Carolina knew the Falcons were going to use their stretch runs, and yet still players were out of place. Fox called it "poor execution," but what he forgot to mention was the poor coaching. To a man, the Panthers said the Falcons didn't do anything different than they did in the past, so then why weren't they prepared to stop it -- or at least make some adjustments at halftime to fix the problem?<<<

2. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

Hey, folks. News flash.

SHIT HAPPENS.

We got out-muscled one year ago on our home turf by a team (a lesser one) that had been practicing the week before in a high school gym.

No one went from gold to shit overnight. That's why reading Prisco/Pastabelly/King/Anything ESPN Related is futile, whether it's positive or negative.

Peaks and valleys. Get used to it. Moreover, it's 28 minutes 'till Wednesday. Time to start thinking forward.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  3. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

That guy sounds like he's a Panther fan.

4. rake

:D

I especially agree about the halftime adjustment point. Though our guys seemed to play a little better D I think it's more likely that asslanta coasted a bit, and Vick got sloppier in the second half. My memory ain't the greatest but I'm not recalling when our coaching staff last had a good day adjusting at halftime . . . I've never seen adjusting at the break as a consistent strength of this regime

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    specifically, when so much of the defense is making the same mistake in unison, you wonder. Not so much to question the ability or gameplan of Trgovac, for instance. People bitch about him every year, it always sounds angry and irrational. He puts up a top 5 D almost every year, and the only hanging point is I can't remember where we finished in 04.

It did feel like there were other things we could've done, especially in the first half, offensively. We could've run more, and we could've used Carter and Johnson more like we did in the 2nd half - let them help you move the chains, rather than taking big risks. Abraham did limit what we could do, to a point. We did adjust, and being more progressive since late 2003 has eased some Henning concerns. In the end, throwing more short stuff to get more first downs in the first half, IMO, would've helped, and may have worked. It would've opened the run up (just out of repetition and more first downs) and would've given us something to build on in the 2nd half. But that's more minor of a problem compared to line play and overall execution.

This team has had big letdowns, in the past. You don't think of a guy who "players would run through a wall for", as Giants stated him, as a guy who'd have had an 8 game losing streak (02) and a 1-7 mark (04). But it's there. And it's not like our guys didn't play hard this week. Maybe it's focus, or intensity. Or preparation.

Since I don't know, I don't blame. But when something's wrong with this team, it's more often not a guy or two guys, it's an entire unit or an entire team. I don't believe coaching is a problem overall. At most, I've questioned decisions in the past. I don't believe that putting problems on Henning, Trgovac, or the odd mentioning of Sunseri that always comes up, does any good unless there's some backing behind it.

6. rake

shouldn't the buck stop with the coaching staff and the guys who are supposed to prepare the players? You admitted yourself that the players played hard enough. Sorry but in a world of assessing blame for Fox to just play the same busted record after every disappointing loss with a few "we didn't execute"s isn't going to keep him and his staff immune to criticism indefinitely.

7. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

1st half: 20 carries for 135 yards
    2nd half: 20 carries for 69 yards

9. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

that doesn't add up to 250+

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Doesn't include Vick's yardage. I don't like including QB scrambles with regular runs because scrambles really have more to do with the pass defense.

Sidenote from my Minnesota research:
    Atlanta rushed for 285 yards against the Vikings last year, but they bounced back after that and allowed only 3.5 ypc in their remaining 12 games.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006