1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

shotgun wedding?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HM3, Feb 15, 2002.

1. HM3

HM3 Guest

just a little (very little) joke. that comes from a cowboys fan of many, many (of which many were lean) years, who likes the shotgun.

imho, this only makes sense, as long as it's used at the right times. weinke seems a natural fit for it when necessary.

now i cant wait for some of the idiots to make noise about how this means the panthers have a new "shotgun based" offense.

btw, i like this board, larry and magnus. keep up the good work all involved. thanks.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i'm just glad to see the new coach being flexible and willing to keep all options open.

3. Piper

Piper Guest

Del Rio is right

Gap control was terrible. Tackling was terrible. Guys were taking bad angles to the ball.

From some comments he made, I would not be suprised at some more personnel moves. Were going to need some biger bodies in front of Dan, and we need some cap space to do that.

He's fairly noncommital right now on where they are going, who they might cut. We all expect Gilbert gone in June, and guys like Wells cut here in a bit, but little has been said.

7 million over. I heard it was just 4 million a couple months ago. Does anyone know where the descrapency lies? Bonuses paid, like Morgan and Stussie?

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Wish I knew on the discrepancy. I don't honestly know at all what the situation is but in the end we have some work to do, more than I estimated.

>>Gap control was terrible.

I think this was our biggest problem, not tackling. Tackling square comes from these basic ideals:
    read, react, get in position and prepare. If you're three yards away and you have to reach for a guy, you're not squaring up and hitting, you're grabbing and hoping. If your guys aren't keeping control of their gaps, which includes the worst of our problems last year, contain, then you have someone making a play who shouldn't be forced to make a play (someone coming from a lateral position) and when that happens there will be mistakes.

For instance, the sweep. Simple way to stop a sweep is to hold ground at the LOS if you're the contain man. Second guy does same in support and the back has to go wider. Pursuit gets him at the sideline for modest gain/loss.

I feel that having good gap control, or even simply being able to hold at the line and make the shed when needed, that will be the key difference. Once that happens, tackling should take care of itself. That pretty much goes for everyone on this team, including Grant.

So pretty much it's just altering the defense to include maybe one or two more guys with speed in the front seven (and one without that great of speed) and making sure the defense is always adequately set up to take advantage of that.

Interestingly enough it does sound like we'll have at least some of Del Rio's defense together (if not all, defensively) so a pair of two gappers doesn't seem totally out of question. Still, TFY says that one of the higher picking teams is wild about Ryan Sims. Who knows. I just hope, if so, we trade down, even if it only nets us a 3.

Dark Circles (Bela Fleck)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2002