1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Scientology???

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by charmed, Jun 12, 2005.

1. charmed

charmed Full Access Member

2. Science

Science Puerto Rican of the Sea

It's all true. Ever since Tom Cruise started babbling like a moron about Scientology in every interview, I started reading up. The most amazing thing is that this 3rd-rate SciFi paperback that they pass off as their origin story isn't even told to the newest members. One much reach a certain level of "clearness" before being told about Xenu and the volcanoes and the 3D movies.

3. Science

4. charmed

Yeah- I'm reading a web page right now about L. Ron Hubbard's statements. Strange and revealing stuff....

“THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM. You can write that down in your book in great big letters. The only way you can control anybody is to lie to them.”
    - L. Ron Hubbard, “Off the Time Track,” lecture of June 1952, excerpted in JOURNAL OF SCIENTOLOGY issue 18-G, reprinted in TECHNICAL VOLUMES OF DIANETICS & SCIENTOLOGY, vol. 1, p. 418

“I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is.”
    - L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949; quoted by Eshbach in OVER MY SHOULDER: REFLECTIONS ON A SCIENCE FICTION ERA, Donald M. Grant Publisher. 1983

Thanks for the link:)

5. charmed

6. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

growing up in hollywood, i'm VERY familiar with scientology. i used to play around on the grounds of "the mannor", which is sort of their celebrity hotspot.

my friend used to keep a file on them with all kinds of fun stuff -- this was before web sites, so it's kinda redundant now.

i've known a bunch of scientologists. when a person says "i'm a scientologist" and you've heard them speak or interacted with them in any way prior to this statement, invariably your first reaction is "well, that explains it". you can judge a group by its membership and the members are fucking weird.

dianetics is kept on the best seller list by scientologists purchasing the books on a regular basis. my friend used to work at a book store and they'd get shipments of the book "from the publisher" with their in-store markings on them. basically, you go out, buy the book, then send it back to hq.

the general gist of dianetics is actually pretty reasonable. lots of treat yourself right, keep good hygene, self-help kinda stuff. the weird shit is engrams, body thatens, etc.

whenever a scientologist kid would get hurt while playing, they'd want to "touch it back" -- meaning, to reconnect the injury with the object that injured them. like the pain would rub off or something. or perhaps they were trying to avoid getting engrams...

oh, another fun tidbit. they REALLY HATE psychiatrists. undoubtedly they commiserate over their shared histories of misdiagnosed mental disorders and that probably helps feed the anti-shrink fire.

scientologists. i love em.

7. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Interesting. I saw where Cruise went off on psychiatrists in one of his interviews. Don't they have to pay large sums of money to just "reach" higher levels in scientology?

8. Science

They also consider all mood-altering drugs, from Paxil to Prozac, to be Aldous Huxley-style brain washing tools. Cruise went off on Sheilds because she suffered post-partum depression and took Prozac for it.

And, yes, they hate psychiatrists.

9. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Does the fact that they needed to go to a psychiatrist in the first place bother anyone?

10. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache