1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Schottenheimer fired?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Chargers | Schottenheimer fired
    Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:59:33 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the San Diego Chargers have fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

2. realtyczar

realtyczar Full Access Member

Doesn't surprise me, but wondered why it took so long for them to do it. Could we see Pete Carroll make a NFL comback?

3. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

They wait until all the in house candidates are gone, THEN they do this. Makes you really wonder about the ownership.

It will be interesting to see what kind of story comes out. If they fired him because he lost his staff, that was entirely predictable with the contract situation they gave him. Again, poor ownership decisions.

Still, there are some decent candidates out there, so they may not be totally out of luck.

4. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

ESPN STORY

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.
    Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.
    Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.
    Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.
    "Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007. With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

5. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

It's probably more the GM than the owners. They never got along. Frankly, he needs to be thrown out on his ass instead of Marty

6. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

Think Wade Phillips wishes he would have waited a week?

7. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

You bet.

Sounds like that's true, Schroll. Arguments about which staff to hire. Wow.

Whether you think Fox was pressured to fire Henning or not, there was no suggestion that he didnt get to pick his successor. JR hired some assistants before he hired the HC twice, but he made it clear the HC didnt have to accept them.

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Jesus Christ on a Crutch!

A.J. Smith is distroying that organization.

9. y2b

y2b King of QC

Marty is a good coach, I've always liked him. I bet Dallas wishes they had waited too.

10. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Wade leaving may have been one of the triggers for Marty going, so maybe no one would have benefited by waiting. So weird its hard to even guess.