1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Rock Bands with Horns!

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Y2Buddy, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Patti

Patti ~

I love bands with horns. Train just did that song drops of jupiter with a mini orchestra, very good song imo.

David Sanborn is just the best. And I remember seeing Phil Drescal ( I know that isn't how he spells his last name ) about 10 years ago. He was by himself and he played for about two hours, couple of small breaks and he would stop and talk quite a bit also. But he actually moved me to tears. I was not ready for that show to end, I could listen to him for days.

Oh yeah what was that big black guys' name that played for E Street Band?

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    First name was Clarence I think. I should know this, but he was only OK. But yeah I thought of the E st. band today in regard to this.

Anyway, Patti, you familiar with Mike Brecker? James Carter?

Lenny Pickett? Oh, shit. Lenny Pickett.

3. SandMan

SandMan Guest

Voltage Brothers - best rendition of EWF I have ever seen. :cool:

4. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Clarence Clemmons

5. jazzredcat

jazzredcat Guest

"I love bands with horns. Train just did that song drops of jupiter with a mini orchestra, very good song imo...."

David Sanborn is just the best. And I remember seeing Phil Drescal ( I know that

Absolutely nothing against Sanborn, but if you like horns, I'd suggest "acquiring" a taste for jazz, per se. Wynton Marsalis, Micheal Brecker, Count Basie would be as good places as any to start....Stan Getz, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, etc.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I always liked Ellington for horns. Carney, specifically. Didn't they have Hawkins a while? Or Webster? I'm blanking.

At various times, had some of the better sidemen in history...Paul Gonsalves, Johnny Hodges, who else?

mmm...James Carter.

7. jazzredcat

jazzredcat Guest

I'm quirky when it comes to Ellington. I love doing his(and Strayhorn's)stuff; and, I like hearing others do his music.
    But I can't stand the Ellington band. Particularly the vibrato they use.
    I like his piano work, though.:cool:

8. I like the song, but from the very first time I heard it I thought the strings were cheesy. I thought it would have been better without them. JMHO

You said it all right there, sista. I saw him at the Paladium when he was touring for "Another Hand". He didn't play any of his R&B/crossover stuff, just pure hard jazz. I'll never forget that warm summer evening listening to Dave serenade me with jazz.

This guy popped into my head when I read the thread topic. Thanks for bringing him up.

9. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Believe it or not I thought about this thread the other day as I was listening to a funk CD I compiled from my mom's CD collection.

And she had a Blood, Sweat, & Tears CD that had songs on it I'd heard parts of, but didn't know it was them.

And she had a Chicago greatest hits that will probably only delay me picking up more of their albums on CD. I've still got Chicago III, which has 'The Approaching Storm' on it. Fantastic.

10. VOR

VOR OnlyU CanPreventRelection

Nobody has mentioned War or Kool and the Gang. Summer Madness still give me shivers. what I can hear of it, most of the synthesizer stuff is gone.