1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Requirements for Salvation

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by Thelt, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

The sunday school lesson I heard today was about the confrontation between Peter and Paul. There was an argument in the early church between the Jews and Gentiles regarding what was needed for salvation. The Jews wanted to make following the law of Moses part of salvation and specifically circumscion. Paul was on the side of those who did not want to add anything to salvation other than the acceptance of Christ. Paul obviously won the argument but I think that battle is still going on today. Many people and many religious sects want to add something to the requirements for salvation. They want to say that some good works are necessary. I guess man has a hard time accepting that he can do nothing to secure his own salvation other than accepting Christ.

2. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

John 3:16 is the definitive answer. or grace through faith.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

I truly believe that "good works" are a part on ones "spiritual fruit", as a result of salvation AND continual growth in Christ. Saying that is required for salvation is not Biblically correct in my opinion. I agree with you.

However, I do believe that there will be higher degrees of rewards in Heaven for those that strive for them while on Earth. Does that make sense?

4. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It does make sense but it just occurs to me that it is the key issue to many false doctrines is the desire to add something to what is required for salvation.

5. sadic1

sadic1 Full Access Member

Isn't this a question of knowing what exactly constitutes accepting Christ? It's got to be more than just saying it. From where I sit, there are a lot of people who claim to have accepted Christ who are jerks to people, but they figure they're covered because they say (and even believe) that they've accepted Christ. Can someone truly accept Christ, a person who spent his entire life doing good works for people, without acting like Christ in performing good works?

6. builder

builder membered member

sadic's on to something. I accepted Christ as a teenager. Then, I realized that it meant nothing more than a moment of weakness because I saw my mom and sister crying in the pew next to me who had seen the old lady up front crying after her husband died....So really, there was nothing more than an emotional leapfrog from one person to the next.

7. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

you make a very good point but now later in life you denounce the validty of christianity. so wouldn't that wash you of salvation?

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

...or acting like Christ period?

I agree with V.I. in that works, good deeds, whatever we want to call them, are the natural outcome of a life and mind being changed dynamically by Christ Himself. Simply put, the closer one grows to Him, the more he or she becomes like Him, and the more he or she wants to do the things He wants us to do. It's an indicator, not a requirement.

And as Sadic pointed out, I think in many cases the reverse is true. Someone who claims the label of Christian but spends 95% of his life being abusive and/or self-serving (i.e. "Sunday morning Christians"), is going to place some serious doubt in the minds of those he's trying to convince of his faith. Whether or not he actually has given his life over to Christ is ultimately up to Christ to decide. But there are ample warnings in the Bible directed at those specific people.

9. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Yes.

10. builder

builder membered member

In all honesty, looking back, I don't think it ever was salvation. And now that I don't believe in that version of the afterlife, I don't think it really matters.