1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Replacement GM

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Oct 22, 2012.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I think the league in general is wise to that type of thing. The Tuna/Holmgren thing is out. Just doesn't really work. That type guy with enough clout ends up putting someone under him in charge, sits back and earns a paycheck, and gets out when things get tough.

The interesting thing will be to see how young he'll go, and how soon he'll hire someone. There really isn't much protocol for a firing this time of year.

2. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Would a Dungy or Cowher be too little too late?

Are they past it?

3. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Who would dungy grab for a staff? He made his name on D but all the best of those old bucs are coordinators/HCs or off at college with their kids.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

IMO, yes.

I can't think of anyone successful that's come back from TV and killed it in the NFL, but I can't think of much of anyone who's even come back from TV. Seifert? But he wasn't in TV long.

The thing about TV? You're either loved or tolerated. Most people still even buy into Chris Berman as a personality, for fuck's sake. But you're rarely hated, you make equal money, and you're not sleeping in your office six days a week to break down more details of how the fucking Buccaneers' right corner's drop step is a couple inches further back if he's dropping into C6 versus C2/C3 flip.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

fair point, if you're out of the league that long, you don't have that much contact with guys anymore.

Oh, also Mike Shula LOLOMG.

Or, that elusive Herm/Shula pairing.
    Or Marinelli, that was his guy, too.

6. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Raheem is off coaching the Redskins DBs to not cover go routes at the end of games, so we can have Raheem as DC.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Past and unwilling. The Panthers' job is not attractive unless you really want to be an NFL head coach.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

and not coaching DeAngelo Hall at all. I imagine having Hall on your football team is kinda like rewriting your entire movie because Gary Busey won't leave, and you have to pretend that whatever it is he's doing is a part of the script.

9. CarPanthers20

CarPanthers20 The Other Godfrey

Understood that it is not attractive from a cap standpoint, but there are other factors that lead into a decision. Examples being quality of life for wife and family & relationship with an owner who wants to win being two. Hurney has proven that JR will give you the time and opportunity to implement your strategy, no matter how bad it is.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Every owner wants to win. Being able to do so depends on talent and the ability to bring in more.