1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Redoing the kitchen

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by Freakshow, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

Hardwoods or tile? I think I like the look of wood in the kitchen. Pros? Cons?

Also, redoing the counters. I like granite. Anything else out there that's similar?

Finally, appliance color. My wife insists black appliances are becoming the "in thing." My preference is stainless. Thoughts on this?

2. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

Seems a wood floor in the kitchen would be a bitch to keep clean.

3. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Floor: Tiles due to ease of cleaning, etc.

Cabinets: Granite is nice but there are cheaper alternatives that are also pretty good.

Appliances: Stainless is cool but a pain in the ass to keep clean, especially if someone for some God forsaken reason uses an abrasive cleaner on them the day after you purchase the damn things!!!!! :12:

4. wordsworth

wordsworth Full Access Member

*Put some tile warmers no matter what your climate.

5. VA49er

Lot cheaper just to wear shoes/bedroom shoes, etc.

6. wordsworth

wordsworth Full Access Member

Shoes?:handbang:

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

linoleum glue-on square tiles for the floors, plywood with an adhesive fake granite veneer for the counters. Go with avocado appliances. black appliances are on the last stages of being "the thing" with avocado scheduled to become the new thing in February 2011. I would also suggest tongue-and-groove knotty pine for the cabinets. you can also convert your old washing machine into a rendering device that can turn your dead pets into lard. All you need is a propane tank, some one-inch pvc pipe and a shoehorn. You know that film that you can put over your car windows to make them look tinted? you need to install that on the window above the sink so you can beat off undetected while washing the dishes. I have one of those double stainless steel sinks. I use one side to wash and store dirty dishes and the other side has been made into a small koi pond. I let the water run onto a flat rock, which creates a waterfall effect and have a small siphon taking the overflow into the other sink. If this appeals to you, gmail me and I'll send you the architects drawings. When I'm alone at home, I like to roller skate nude in the kitchen. sometimes I'll start at one end and push myself off the wall and coast to the other side, then turn and push myself back again. It makes weird sounds when the skate wheels go over the seems between the linoleum tiles, but the fish don't seem to mind.

8. VA49er

socks?

9. spud

spud Full Access Member

Oh so you have a dumb ass in your house also! makes me sick everytime I look at it.

10. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

What's cheaper than granite that you think looks good?

Also...hardwoods vs. laminate. Laminate is cheaper and easier to maintain...right? And you can even get them with 50 year warranties.

What are the negatives?