1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recruit Rankings

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by LClefty04, Jun 3, 2009.

1. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

2. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

reelancewriter wrote on 05/25/2009 02:18:58 PM: Star system is flawed?

It's more along the lines of Brad Lawlings' memory is flawed.

Culliver was ranked a four star on Scout. So, it's evident he's talking about Rivals.

Rivals had Culliver listed as a four star his entire senior season. A high four star at that. Then, after his Shrine bowl and the Rivals evaluations (where they stated he had impressed the scouts) he was bumped to a five star.

It sure sounds to me that he's playing the same lines we saw Tommy Tuberville's staff do when they weren't developing players. It wasn't rankings, it was character.

Here it's the system is flawed.

The question that bears asking is why is a college coach paying attention to rankings of players on recruiting sites in the first place?

3. LClefty04

The recent scout rankings have Gabe King who isn't eligible to play next year as the #1 player in NC. The system has major flaws and it is crazy to think that someone who isn't playing football next year is supposed to be the best player in NC next year.

It is also interesting how Hurst went from a 4-star(March 18th) and on April 22nd he picked UNC then he became a 5-star recruit.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

UNC has a tendency for things to happen. :SCA+HL:

5. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

Hurst was a five star on scout.com before he chose Carolina, and Bodine was a 3 star before and after he committed.

State fans are fucking lunatics.

Having said that...of course the star system is flawed. There will never be a perfect system for something that's largely guess work anyway. Nobody can know for sure how much a kid is gonna change, both physically and mentally, from age 16 to age 20.

6. LClefty04

Here moron....
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=3746653

5th article down on the left has him a 4-star recruit, then look at article #2.

Now say you're sorry...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. wolfpac

wolfpac Full Access Member

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

I think the thing with any of these sites is they are first and foremost a business. Any business who plans to hang around will cater to it's customers. No one would disagree with that. #1 subscription site on scout.com I believe is Inside Carolina (it's at least in the top 5 though I haven't seen those rankings in a while). Thus, they have a very good financial reason to constantly rank them higher and keep the customers paying that monthly bill. It's both a blessing and a curse for Butch. Blessing that it builds hype and a curse if he never gets above the Car Care bowl. Fans expect top 10-15 classes to do more than show up in Charlotte in December.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  8. LClefty04

I'm sure littlecat will respond by cussing me out or try to say something funny to make himself look better.

9. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

I don't care what the article says. I looked at his player page before he committed, and it already had him listed as a 5 star recruit. He was ranked based on his performance, not because he became a Tar Heel.

Besides that, why would they upgrade one player because he commits to Carolina, and not the other two?

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Hurst was 5 star before UNC picked him up. Maybe not by much more than 2 or 3 weeks, but it did happen before he verballed.