1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

RAM

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Fred, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Fred

Fred .........

Ok, My computer is a year old and is getting very slow. (I have a cable modem.) I defrag and check it for errors on a routine basis. I guess I need more RAM- right? Exactly where does one get RAM and how does one apply it to your computer. :confused:

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i was over at putt's the other day checking out his computer. he's got 64MB right now and could stand to add some more. he's got one slot open. he could add a 128MB chip in there and be fine. actually, if you add one that's larger, you should switch them around in the slots.

go to www.newegg.com and check prices. memory used to be very expensive, but the prices are much more reasonable now.

there are two places in charlotte that i go for computer stuff that i can reccomend. let me check their prices though...

3. Fred

Fred .........

The price doesn't worry me as much as I am afraid that I will go in there and disconnect something that will blow up the whole friggin neighborhood!

4. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

Not only is it cheap, but the best bang for the buck you can get.

My computer was 64 megs. Slow. I went to Best Buy and bought 2 256 meg chips. Think they were like $30 each? Anyway, I pulled out the 64 and popped in the 2 256 chips. My computer is fast as hell now. I can't stress how easy it is to do this.

My wife wanted to get a new laptop. I checked it out and found she had 32 megs. Added 128 for $20. She is now happier with it than she was 2 years ago when it was brand new.

CHEAP
    EASY
    HUGE DIFFERENCE

5. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

If you do buy more ram, check and make sure you pc will be able to handle it. Some older pcs will not handle one stick of 512 or 256 per slot. Unless you know or you can find out for sure I would go with a 128. Installing ram is about the easiest thing to do and it will only go in one way!

6. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

You are right. Check online or in your manual. My HOME PC will handle 1 gig per slot. The original WAS removable.

My wife's laptop had 1 expansion slot. It would only handle 128. The 32 in there already was NOT removable.

7. Fred

Fred .........

Now see- that's what worries me. i don't know how much mine can handle. I have 64 now. I tell ya, being a helpless idiot sucks!

8. BearBryant

Hey fred..Shoot me an email or pm with the kind of pc you have and I will try and find out what your pc will and will not do.

9. Puttingood

Puttingood Guest

I went to System Information in windows and I was about maxxed out on memory. I also found out that as I had been loading new versions of AOL, the older versions were still there. I deleted 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0. I uninstalled a bunch of useless programs and took all the good ones that i had a disk for off. I took a couple hours to defragment and then I re-booted and the RealCities Board was a breeze. The stuff I had on Morpheus was taking up 20% of my memory. Everytime I deleted something , I would go back and check out how much memory I reclaimed.

10. BearBryant

Sounds like you were just actually reclaiming some hard disk space. Ram is what makes your pc able to "think" faster along with your cpu.