1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

PGA Championship coming to Charlotte in 2017

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by DJ_Tet, Aug 31, 2010.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

2. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

3. chris

chris Full Access Member

Don't get me wrong, this is great news but I'm not so excited. We're talking about the PGA Championship. I think it's been downgraded in popularity. I think the TPC is just as big-or bigger- than the PGA Championship.

A couple of thoughts...

• August in Charlotte... hmm. HOT.
    • And that's when football is starting up and golf dies once training camp opens.
    • Will the Green Mile be redesigned? Especially after Phil Nippleson pitched a bitch about it

4. DJ_Tet

I get what you're saying, but the fourth Major is still a bigger deal than The Players Championship.

Mickleson ran his mouth and won't be a factor in 2017, he'll be nearly 50.

I'm hoping we're still in the running for a Ryder Cup. That event would be awesome, and garner Charlotte a lot more worldwide attention than the PGA Championship will.

But here in the US, getting one of the two available Majors (Masters obviously doesn't move) is a huge deal and is inarguably better than the TPC.

edit: as far as the QH members, I feel bad for them up to a point, but there are only around 400 members, and there are plenty of clubs in Charlotte they could join/play at. I love what QH has done for the city, it's an awesome event.

5. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

A lot of the insiders have grown tired of it.

6. DJ_Tet

It doesn't seem to matter does it?

Train keeps on rollin'

edit: In all seriousness I expect this announcement to come at the expense of the annual tournament. I believe that is up in 2013, which gives the members three years unimpeded while they figure out how they want to groom the course for the Major. The article seems to think that the yearly stop could continue but I think it will likely at least be put on hiatus until after the PGA Championship rolls through.

Is there another course in the area with the facilities to put on a PGA Tour stop? It would be nice to see it stay in Charlotte, even if it had to move to another course.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Does Piper Glen measure up? I know they used to have a seniors tour event there.

8. Playa

Playa The coach is a near

And this is 7 years from now. Imagine how hot it will be then with all the global warming!

9. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Hopefully by then they will have moved the Greensboro tournament back to the spring. Not sure if they will want back to back events in Charlotte then Greensboro.

10. DJ_Tet

I have no idea, I've only been to munis and a couple other courses in the area. I would imagine there is a lot that goes into a PGA Event. I know riding the buses in to Quail Hollow you can tell how difficult security must be. Then you've also gotta consider how to present the course on TV. I imagine having had a seniors tour that they were set in that area at one time, depends on how the course has evolved.