1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

panthers promote o'brien to asst. HC

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Feb 14, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

Panthers Head Coach John Fox announced the completion of his coaching staff Wednesday with the promotion of special teams coach Scott O'Brien to assistant head coach and the addition of Sal Sunseri as quality control coach for the defense.

"Scott O'Brien has earned this position by establishing himself as one of the top special teams coaches in the National Football League," says Fox. "He is an enthusiastic, tireless worker who gets the best out of his players year in and year out."

O'Brien's special teams units have annually ranked among the league's best in coverage and returns in both kickoffs and punts. Last year, the Panthers sent two special team members, returner Steve Smith and punter Todd Sauerbrun, to the Pro Bowl despite winning just one game.

Sunseri comes to the Panthers from Michigan State, where he served as the Spartans linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. Prior to his tenure at Michigan State he spent the 2000 season in the same capacity at LSU. Sunseri began his coaching career at his alma mater of Pittsburgh in 1985 following a three-year career as a player that began as a walk-on and culminated with the MVP award in the 1982 Senior Bowl. He earned a bachelor's degree in communications from Pittsburgh in 1982.

Fox also said that Mike McCoy would be retained as quality control coach on offense and Alvin Reynolds would remain a defensive assistant.

The Panthers coaching staff includes five new coaches. Joining the staff are offensive coordinator Dan Henning and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio along with defensive line coach Mike Trgovac, secondary coach Rod Perry, and running backs coach Jim Skipper.

Returning to the staff are wide receivers coach Richard Williamson, who served as offensive coordinator last season, offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, whose unit set a team single season record for fewest sacks allowed with 31, tight ends coach Don Breaux, linebackers coach Sam Mills, strength and conditioning coach Jerry Simmons, and assistant strength and special teams assistant Darrin Simmons in addition to McCoy and Reynolds.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    SUnseri is a valuable addition. Not only will he be a valuable member of the staff doing whatever else needs to be done, and collecting/presenting information, he's an experienced college position coach who could fill in as a position coach in the next few years if needed. he's also got special teams coaching experience, giving basically three good ST coaches on one team (O'Brien could really count as two, he's that good...Simmons almost got hired by Minnesota...) in case O'Brien retires in the next few years also.

3. LarryD

well, we said before all this went down that the real foundation wasn't the coach, but the staff he puts together.

i've got to say that i'm impressed with this staff.

4. PantherMills

PantherMills Guest

I keep seeing flashes of what might have been. Spurrier and all those Gators...I'm sooo glad with the direction we seem to be headed, and because all eyes won't be on us, I feel we're going to take some teams by surprise. With Del Rio putting Morgan in the Middle (sounds like a sitcom) and O'Brien's promotion, Fox seems to be the guy to go with what works, not a system first coach. I'm really getting excited about the future of the team (I always seem to do that, but this time I really think there's merit to it)...Well, thanks for the invite LarryD, this is my first visit and based on first impressions, it's the best digs around.

5. LarryD

good deal. this IS the best software out there and we've got nothing but the best culled from charlotte.com boards.

now.

:)

6. SandMan

SandMan Guest

I don't know Larry... Siefert let it go... he had full authority to step in and ask Williamson to take the rest of the season off. He full authority to step in his office and say "time out" what the fuck are you doing? I was never on the git rid of GS bandwagon until late in the season (to the best of my recollection). I just really felt like his lack of fire and helpless approach which could be heard in his voice all year was the downfall. He just lost his leadership ability... IMO.

but yea, the staff is obviously very important.

7. LarryD

i see what you're saying.

i was talking about what we were looking for in the next regime, once it was apparent that it wasn't going to be someone as credentialled as parcells.

with an unproven guy (as a HC) i was eager to see who he'd bring in. he looks to have brought a good group in.

im happy.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yep. This was a "looking forward" idea.

9. BigMark

BigMark Guest

Will this actually change his day to day responibilities, or is this just a title/salary improvement?

10. Doesn't the new title this also mean that the Panthers don't have to grant other teams interview rights (for positions other than Head Coach)? I figured Pittsburgh would come after Scott hard, especially considering the special teams disintegration that once again removed any chance for "one for the thumb" for the Steelers...