1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers draft talk

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Feb 25, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i'm starting to get the bug. i've been avoiding it for as long as possible because too many things were up in the air (coach, oc, dc, cuts, etc.) and i've got the baby coming. i just KNOW that this will eat up a buncha time, but...it's one of the greatest days of the year. you gotta do what you gotta do.

well, let's start the talk.

the release of two cornerbacks was a bit surprising, making the addition of a solid corner a must through free agency and/or the draft. you can't have a good defense without at least one decent corner -- and anderson just isnt there yet. even the best defensive ends are rendered useless if the receivers can get open fast.

the top free agent cornerbacks appear to be:

duane starks (ufa, bal, 5-10, 170, 4 years exp.): has played in all but three games since entering the nfl. he'll likely ask for more than the ravens want to pay, which means the ravens could also be in the market for a cb. he's a solid tackler and good coverage guy. if he doesn't cost a boatload of money, he'd be a more-than-solid, speedy, young addition with a winning background (miami hurricanes, baltimore ravens). it may be a plus having a familiar face in del rio here.

walt harris (ufa, chi, 5-11, 190, 6 years exp.): has been a starter his whole career, but may be as old a player as the panthers want to build with. the bears won't resign him because they, too, are looking to get younger. he's got good coverage skills, but isn't overly physical. he'd be ok to slide in for a couple of years while trying to bring along a draft pick.

bryant westbrook (ufa, det, 6-0, 188, 5 years exp.): he was born in charlotte. injuries would be the concern as he's missed considerable time the past three seasons.

artrell hawkins (ufa, cin, 5-10, 190, 4 years exp.): a solid starter from his rookie season. would probably come cheap, comparitavely speaking.

well, let's start the talk there as i think getting the CB is the panthers next step. unless they offer starks a good chunk of change (which jerry seems un-inclined to do anymore) or they just go grab hawkins, i dont think we'll see this situation resolved quickly.

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

John Fox and the secondary

Wasn't he a secondary coach from quite some time?

Perry is a respected guy, too.

Makes me feel better about relesing Hitch and Evans. I was happy about it, needed to be done.

I'd love to see Starks in a Panthers uniform. Seeing as these guys are secondary folks, I can see CB being given priority in FA.

I can also see us drafting one in round 2......

Watch for a bruiser fullback in FA, too.

3. PantherMills

PantherMills Guest

You would hope a plan was in place before the release. DelRio's connection with Starks seems the most likely scenario.

4. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

Starks or Tom Knight would be my top choices. But it HAS to be a UFA, we can't afford to give up draft picks and the $$$ for a RFA.
    Harris and Westbrook are both underacheivers that would likely require more money than we want to spend. Harris was a first rounder.
    Others I'd consider as options:
    Corey Chavous - Probably expensive
    Elijah Williams - Could be a starter, or just cheap depth
    Izell Reese - Experienced, but he has a Cowboy background, YUK!
    Robert Bailey - Serviceable and should come cheap
    Allen Rossum - Good back-up, would compliment Smith on returns
    Fred Weary - Good, not great. Cheap
    Brian Kelley - Likely expensive
    James Trapp - has shown flashes in limited PT
    Eric Warfield - big hitter, I'd give him a long look!
    Terrell Buckley - Highest bidder
    Daryl Porter - Back-up only
    Danion Sydney - Expensive, but a good CB. $$$

5. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

OH!
    And we should trade down and take either Jammer or Buchanon and pick up an addition second for this year and next.

That will go over like a fart in church with the Peppers pep club, but I feel it would be the smart move.

6. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Trade down all the way!

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i've been starting to come around to that idea, too. it would make sense if the panthers could pick up a relatively high 1st rounder and still address the needs on the defensive line.

8. Piper

Piper Guest

Need to get a good offer. I'm not sure we will get one, particuarly if the Lions are looking.

If we do keep the pick, at the top of round 2, I'll take Sheppard or Rumph. They fit Fox's scheme.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Agreed. I'd like to have a big corner like that on the left side, whether we're adapting to the Cover two or running Fox' more complex scheme.