1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panther Question

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by wolverine, Feb 19, 2002.

1. wolverine

wolverine Guest

I have been a Panther fan since the beginning. I have also been pretty disgusted with the lack of a consistent running game. Seeing how we offered Biakabatuka for the expansion draft and no one wanted him either. What is the possibilty that we will release him and give Huntley or Hoover a chance? Or will we go for a runner in the draft. Anybody have the scoop on our direction for this year.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

biakabutuka isn't soaking up an ungodly amount of dollars, so i can see them keeping him on the roster.

however, this team is going to run the ball -- consistently. fox won't keep anyone on the roster who has more potential than on-field production in him.

i think that brown will get the first shot at being the third down guy and will be able to prove himself while biakabutuka is recouperating from his injury. i'd like to see brown be so productive that when tshimanga comes back, it's a "good" problem.

huntley will be the workhorse. he'll get his wish.

the panthers need another back to turn to in case huntley gets injured. i dont think they need to find their super-stud back in this draft (in fact, its a weak draft for that player). give the team a year to play together and go out and find the YOUNG back to be one of the final pieces to the super bowl puzzle. it's much easier for a rookie back to be productive in the nfl than any other position -- and their lifespan is shorter, too.

3. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Somebody up there has got to decide whether Timmy and all these other cap-heavy guys stay this year. I'm all for cutting losses depending on the draft. I'd like to see Huntley featured.

4. wolverine

wolverine Guest

I really think that the problems the offense had last year was because of the running game. I think the o line is solid and the receivers are top notch. Weinke should be a good qb, not hall of fame but good. You need to set up the pass by establishing the running game. A good running game will also help the defense. I hope that they let huntley run till the fat lady sings. There is no reason if he is given the chance that he shouldn't get 1200 yards. That is only 75 per game. I only hope that he stays healthy. If he does we will win a lot more this season.:D

5. HPCatFan

HPCatFan Senior Member

I'm with you there Wolverine. The way Fox is talking about running the ball, the offensive line guys must be drooling. I guess I can see their point, run blocking vs. pass blocking. They don't like to pass block, at least not every down like we have been doing. I'm a little naive when it comes to football sometimes, but I can see that if you are run blocking, as a lineman you are attacking the defense, moving them out of the way to make a hole for the back. If all you do is pass block, that seems to be more passive, a prevention-type thing. And LarryD is right, looks like Huntley will get his wish. Lets hope he lives up to his talk.

6. Piper

Piper Guest

With us 7 million over, I don't even see keeping Tim a choice. Over 2 million in cap space is recovered, with little dead weight on the cap.

Either Gordon or Wells would make fine 3rd round pick, and would compliment Huntley. I'd rather have Wells, get a big back with 4.6 speed. And I'm familar, wheras I'm forced to parrot about Gordon.

And color me still suspicious about Dee Brown's ability to contribute.

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

does cutting biakabutuka save that much money? i thought his cap figure was $1.something.

if they could work out an injury settlement, that would be best. he's just not worth that much money to keep around based on potential and i dont think he's an nfl starter.

8. wolverine

wolverine Guest

I think Tim is expedable. He has proven nothing at all. His boat is taking on water and going down fast. Sure he had a lot of potential coming out of college. But has produced squat. His best season was 700+ yds, that is mediocre for a pro. I agree with Dee brown also. Still leary on his ability. I do think that Huntley is hungry. And thats what we need, a little hunger on this team.

9. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I'm suspicious, too. But he needs a chance anyway.