1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panther draft insight

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by boo-urns, Apr 5, 2002.

1. boo-urns

boo-urns Guest

from the ap...

key quote "Nothing's a stretch at this point," Hurney said. "I think the most important thing is we have to pick the right player at the right spot. I don't think it's a matter of position"

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The NFL draft is still two weeks away, and the Carolina Panthers are on the clock.
    When the expansion Houston Texans announced Wednesday they would pick Fresno State quarterback David Carr with the first pick in the draft, the focus turned to the Panthers, who choose second.
    The Panthers went 1-15 last year, setting a record for 15 consecutive losses in a season while their fan base dwindled to the point New England fans dominated the stadium in the season finale.
    So it's assumed Carolina will take Julius Peppers, a two-sport standout at North Carolina who could bring fans back to the franchise and give the Panthers a legitimate pass-rusher they have long been without.
    "He could help us a lot," defensive end Mike Rucker said. "A guy with that kind of talent and abilities obvious has a skill level that can help us put. Everyone knows we need a little help around here."
    But General Manager Marty Hurney said the Panthers don't feel obligated to take a local player and aren't focusing only on Peppers.
    "We really are going to keep our options open," Hurney said. "We're starting our second round of meetings next week, and for the next two weeks we're going to go through and hash things out.
    "I think we're doing the smart thing in keeping our options open and seeing what's going to happen."
    Peppers is scheduled to visit the Panthers next week, but the team is also scheduled to interview other players, including Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer, North Carolina defensive tackle Ryan Sims and Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington.
    Even though Carolina drafted Chris Weinke last season and started him at quarterback as a rookie, the Panthers haven't ruled out drafting another quarterback like Harrington.
    "Nothing's a stretch at this point," Hurney said. "I think the most important thing is we have to pick the right player at the right spot. I don't think it's a matter of position.
    "It's a matter of a guy who's going to be here for 10 years and help contribute and be a good player for you."
    The Panthers don't have a very good history with first-round draft picks, with cornerback Rashard Anderson (2000 pick) and linebacker Dan Morgan (2001) the only two in the team history still on the roster.
    Anderson has not lived up to expectations and is scheduled to undergo surgery next week on a bulging disc in his neck. He will be sidelined into the start of the season.
    Morgan was injured early last season and struggled to get back to his original playing level when he returned. New coach John Fox has moved him to inside linebacker.
    Morgan, who said he hoped the Panthers would consider drafting some of his former defensive teammates at Miami, also would welcome Peppers.
    "Everybody's talking about him like he's coming here," Morgan said. "I've watched him play quite a few times and he's a talent. I'm sure he could help this team."
    There's also the possibility Carolina could trade the pick. Hurney said the Panthers would listen to offers, but have not yet received any.

2. Piper

Piper Guest

Peppers, Sims, Harrington, Jammer. Oddly enough, I don’t see McKinnie’s name in there. :fastsmile

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    >>"He could help us a lot," defensive end Mike Rucker said. "A guy with that kind of talent and abilities obvious has a skill level that can help us put. Everyone knows we need a little help around here."

ever wonder if players follow the draft much?
    I know that the old version of my board used to have some people that'd show up...Mike Minter actually contacted one of my guys. Apparently Wiley was an avid fan. :D Gilbert wasn't.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Giblet.
    Sean 'puffy' Gilbert.
    Fat sack of crap.

These are just a few of the nicknames for 'big sean' I remember seeing at Rivals.