1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Our backup QB situation

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Thelt, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Most of those teams are built around the QB and it is understandable that they would fall apart. We are built on defense and running the ball so a decent care taker QB can get it done for us. It sure helped the Steelers to have a good backup plan for Maddox this year.....

2. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I think that putting the pieces in place on O will go a long way towards helping any Qb, and submit that if we have the D right, and a good running game we're gonna win more than three games without Jake. Shit, Peete won 7 without Davis or Foster.

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Why stick with Peete when you can get someone better?

4. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

sure it helped that Pittsburgh got a little lucky that the rookie played so well. even philly got a little lucky a few years ago when AJ Feely played so well. but QB is the one position where very few teams won't skip a beat if the starter goes down. i can see getting a team through a game or two...maybe three. but in your case (jake blows out a knee in the opener) a team that has to go through the majority of it's season with their backup is probably going to struggle.

Jake has shown to be pretty damned durable. hell, he played half the season this year with a cracked bone in his thumb. it just does not make cap sense to dump a considerable amount of money on a backup qb when you already know who your starter is.

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I never said dump cap space on it. I think we can get a better QB to play for what we are paying Peete.

6. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

ok. so between peete and weinke, we had about 2 million bucks (give or take) wrapped up in the cap in '04. deduct what we would pay rutherford assuming he is #3. who do you think we get for what is left? with the exception of Dilfer (who, like i said, sucked for seattle this year), the guys you mentioned will be looking for a starting job if they were let go from their current team.

7. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

No reason as far as I'm concerned. I was just using him as an example of a guy who ain't Jake winning some games for us.

8. Piper

Piper phishin member

If we can find an aging player willing to take the vet exception for a year, ok.

Rutherford will be cheap. We really don't need to be paying what we are for two backups, particuarly considering their value.

9. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Where's Ryan Leaf?

just kidding fellas :laugh1: just kidding

10. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

I am fine with Weinke and Rutherford, I just don't want Peete in the mix.